Need URGENT help needed with internet problem and buying advice.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TantalizedMind, Oct 18, 2010.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Guys.. trying to be efficient here so I will shorten the story a bit.

My parents old Mini runs the internet FAST at their house using the same ISP. I just got a new 2010 Mini the other day. My Mini is barely loading internet pages!! Brought my 2010 Mini to my parents and swapped the units. My Mini loaded webpages pretty damn quick. Brought the Mini back to my place. Tried a shorter ethernet cable, tried less things plugged into the router, tried WiFi and when I tried it straight through the modem without the router it didn't work at all.

So.. do you think I need a new router. I have a WGR614 v6 which is about 5-6 yrs old. IDK if age would effect the performance of the unit or what. I have tried everything else. My girlfriends 1.83 GHz CD 512MB Macbook WiFi runs faster. WTF is cock-blocking my Mac Mini's internet potential at my house?!

Let me know guys, I appreciate it. I am hoping to hear your thoughts before I go spend my unemployment money on something that won't fix my dilemma. Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So, does your GF's MacBook run okay when she is at your house and using your WiFi? Have you tried reseting (NOT same as reboot) the router and modem?

3. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Oh yeah, we live together. We reset the thing all the time too.

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Does it do the same thing with file transfers from computer to computer?

5. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

When I use Software Update for instance it downloads at normal speeds. But browsing web pages are a real problem. For instance if I click on my Yahoo or Youtube booktab, it usually loads the home page alright. Looks like it fully loads but the "activity-marker" aka spinning circle keeps spinning and whenever I click on a link from the home page it just hangs there. Out of the blue sometimes some web pages that always give me problems are problem-free for a few min and then goes back to hardly connecting to sites.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you updated your DNS servers to 'AN other'?

I would go with OpenDNS, but Google also offer this service.

7. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Could you share some light on the DNS and what the links you sent to me do. IDK anything about DNS.

There is a box to check that says "Use a Dynamic DNS?" but I do not have it checked. IDK what it does. Says something about DynDNS.com accounts.

8. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue