Need Urgent Help Re: Restoring Iphone 3g!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukefinch, May 30, 2010.

1. lukefinch macrumors 6502

lukefinch

I need some urgent help...

I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G that was working perfectly until yesterday. Yesterday, my iPhone got to 10% battery so i put it on charge and left it for a few hours. I then went back to my iPhone to see how much it had charged and it hadn't whatsoever.

I have tried charging it with just the cable connected to my macbook, the cable connected to the USB wall adapter and the cable connected to the wall adapter which is connected to an iPhone dock. Nothing would charge it.

Because of this, i decided to restore it with iTunes if for some reason it was a software issue. I plugged the iPhone into my macbook and hit restore, all was well until the bar was about 3/4 of the way across my iPhone and then it just stopped, i left it for a few hours and nothing changed.

I have tried it a few times now, even downloading the 2.1.2 firmware from www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ to see if that would work.

My question is, if i take it back to Carphone Warehouse tomorrow to get them to fix it - it is still in warranty - is it possible for them to now tell that it was jailbroken?

When my iphone is turned it it shows the connect to itunes image (shown below) and when you do, itunes says it detects an iphone in recovery mode and it needs to be restored.

Here is a pic of how far the restore gets on iTunes. I am sorry for the long post, i am really worried as it is my first and only iPhone, i am only a student so cannot really afford to buy another and i cannot imagine my life without it.

Thank you for any help possible!

Attached Files:

2. JSAYER macrumors member

Have you tried a DFU restore?

If you don't know how to it type it in on Youtube

Hope this helps

3. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

I'll try it now, thanks a lot!

Any other ideas if this doesn't work?

4. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

No. it didn't work. It just got stuck in the same place. Heres a pic of my iphone of where it stops...

Attached Files:

5. JSAYER macrumors member

Hmm not sure then

6. lukefinch thread starter macrumors 6502

lukefinch

Anyone else have any other ideas or suggestions?

Also, and probably more importantly, does anyone know if the people at the Carphone Warehouse will be able to tell that the iPhone was once jailbroken?

7. kayno macrumors regular

kayno

Based on your description.. they wouldn't be able to tell.. if they give you a hard time.. try the apple store.. they would replace it.. I had a similar problem with my 3GS difference is mine loaded up to the lockscreen which was themed.. but when I put it in safe mode it would show the connect to itunes like yours.. So what i did was put in safe mode and put it in the microwave and nuked the buttons.. so no one could play with it and see it was jailbroken.. It worked.. got a replacement from apple without a problem.

So You are good cause there is no visual signs of a Jailbreak.. and when they connect to itunes they are forced to restore.. so if there is some magical way they would get the restore to work it would still restore back to factory leaving no sign of jailbreak.. so I say take it back to carphone warehouse.. if not... then the Apple store.. Let us know how it goes.. Good luck!

Update: Just realized you were in England, not sure of the apple store availability around you but I'm sure you should be fine with the carphone wharehouse warranty.. Just tell them exactly what happened minus the fact that your phone is Jailbroken..