Need urgent help with getting sim cut to microsim in New York

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Eplet, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Eplet macrumors newbie

Hi.

I am currently visiting NYC, and just bought an iPhone 4.

My current phone uses regular sized SIM, so I need someone to help me get it cut to microSIM size.

Since I live in Norway, I can't just call my operator and get a new one, since I'm on the other side of the globe.

Does anybody know anyone who can help me with cutting the SIM in the NYC, preferably Manhattan area? Or maybe somebody knows of a store that sells the tools or service to get the job done?

I will of course pay for the service. :)

Hope somebody can help me with this.

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

3. Eplet thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi.

Thanks for the fast reply :)

If I had been at home, I would have done it with (most likely) no problem at all.

The problem here, is that my hotelroom neither has a ruler, exactoknife or a scissor. And since I only get one shot at this, I'd rather use someone who has the tools available..

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

I appreciate your reluctance in trying this yourself.

An alternative is to leave your hotel room and track down a cellfone shop to do this cutting for you.

The hotel staff will be able to direct you to the nearest outlet.

5. Eplet thread starter macrumors newbie

I know of several cellphone stores around here, but haven't asked if they did that kind of service.

Do you think AT&T, Verizon or Radioshack does that kind of things, even for a SIM that is from a foreign carrier?

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

In this life you dont get if you dont ask....lol.

Personally I wouldn't think a cellfone network store will cut down someones elses sim. I would head for an independant store who offer the cutting for a fee.

But again just ask.

You say you have just purchased an iphone 4.

Is this unlocked so that it will accept your own countries sim.

An alternative is to purchase a payg micro sim from a shop to use while your away and simply set up your voicemail to direct your mail to your new number, and let people know of your temporary number. I appreciate if your away on business then this wont be practable.

Im confident that their will be a store that will cut the sim and perhaps a member will be along who resides in the area you are in that can help further.

Im in the Uk and was fortunate that my carrier - 02- did the transfer of my number and tariff whilst in store when i purchased my ip4.

Hope all ends well as i feel your itching to start using this awesome device !!

7. Eplet thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought an unlocked iPhone, so it works with any carrier :)

I'll head out and try to find a store that will do this for me, thanks for the help so far

8. jdaniel macrumors 65816

chinese asian cell phone stores, the dodgier the better. if ur always travelling buy a sim cutter for 10 bucks