Need urgent help with mySQL.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
OK. So I was running the pre-installed version of mySQL (v3.23.53) using MySQL Manager on our Xserve (running 10.2.8). I then installed phpMyAdmin in order to use the database, which worked fine. I became alarmed by the message saying no password was set for the root account, so I found the part where you can set the password for root. I set it to my usual password, and now I can't connect to it!

I've put in the password in phpMyAdmin's config.inc.php file, but it still doesnt work.

I noticed in MySQL Manager that it had been stopped, and it wont start again now. I tried installing the latest version of MySQL anyway and I did everything it told me to, but now I'm stuck. How do I actually connect to it?! I've set phpMyAdmin to 'localhost' with the root account and no password, but its still not doing anything.

Help would me much appreciated, seeing as it was working fine before, and i've just completely screwed it up :rolleyes:

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
I don't know much about running your own server, but maybe you want to just reinstall the newest version of MySQL (4.1) and then reinstall PHPMyAdmin, and then pull in a backup of your SQL?

You do have a backup... right?

Good luck,
reality

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
No I dont have a backup, but this doesnt matter as I havent done anything yet within it, except run some tests.

For some reason I'm finding it impossible to install. I've been through just about every single link I can find from Google, and nothing seems to work. I'll persevere (damn I need Tiger on here to spell check!), with this final installation tonight, then I give up!

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
HOT DAMN!

I'm so happy I could lick a frog!

After about 4 hours of frustration, I've FINALLY got it up and running again! What I *think* I did was deleting the pre-installed MySQL thing, then deleting the version I installed, rebooting the server (much to the dismay of the people using it at the time.. hehe too bad), then installing again.

I must stay away from that change password thing in phpmyadmin!

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Well I didnt *really* learn anything. I dont know what fixed it! Oh well, its working now so thats all that matters. I find you shouldn't question computers as they don't like that and decide to break for no reason :)

Can you tell I switched from PC?