Need urgent Pages help.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chris Welch, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

I've been designing a resume with Pages for the past few days, and I love how it has turned out. However, I'd like to be able to move the main body of the resume that includes work experience, education, etc. Yet... Pages will not let me seem to do it.

I can move the header (my name), address/contact info, etc. When I click on those, the proper movement tool is activated. However, when I click on the main body, it ALWAYS switches to the text tool. Even with the layout guides on, I cannot click on and move the section.

Please help.

2. Bensheim macrumors newbie

Hallo Chris

I'm new to Pages too, and am learning more every day. Just a guess, did you make your resumé in the word processing fuction rather than the page layout function?

I'm doing everything so far in page layout and every single thing is moveable. I had a quick look at word processing and it is completely different in functionality. (For instance as an experiment, in page layout, I activated all, copy and pasted to a wp document, and it all went haywire. They function differently.)

Hope that helps. And that you come back and read this!

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

First, save a copy of the document in case things go south. :)

Second, I'm not an 'expert' - but I have been using Pages for awhile, so I think this will help.

I would select the entire first page (or at least the portion you want) and then 'cut' it (same as 'copy' then 'delete'). Create a text box, and then 'paste' the text back in. Once you have pulled the text box handles out to the correct size, the formatting should be pretty close to what you had. The text box is now "movable". Also, select the text box, and then go to the 'inspector'. The 3rd button from the left (it will say 'layout' when its selected) controls what happens to the other text as you move the text box. Play with the "Floating" and "Wrap" settings to get what you want. Whenever you see something close to what you want, Save It. Pages is a beast of different colour. I like it a lot, but the logic can be different to what you would expect.

Hope this helps.
    Good Luck.

Seth