Need usability advice (keep using laptops or go to iMac)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by leenak, Oct 8, 2014.

1. leenak macrumors 68020

I've been using laptops for many, many years but with some of my personal projects, I find even the 15" MBP screen to be a bit small. I can deal with it because I like the portability but an iMac is becoming more attractive to me and with potential of them being announced soon, I'd like to consider my options. Also, I like to play games and sometimes (especially under bootcamp), my laptop gets really hot playing games and I don't like having my wrists under it. The other factor that is trickier is that I work at home most of the time and I have an office which is not where I want to be during my personal time. Where I spend my personal time doesn't really have room for a desk (because there is lots of other stuff there) but maybe with a little change up it could. And the other factor is I really, really like OSX and I like to travel with a small, thin laptop.

So my options as I see it:
    1) Find a small desk solution, buy an iMac, use MBP for travel purposes (replace with MB air when it dies) OR
    2) Buy a Windows based laptop, keep my MBP until it dies, replace with a MB Air or something and use Windows based laptop for games/personal projects and MBP/MB air for travel/light computing. Deal with smaller screen or hook up to external monitor in my home office when I need to.

So for those that want to maintain a small computing footprint, do you have nifty ideas for having an iMacs? Is there an option that I haven't thought of?

2. AppleP59 macrumors 6502

3. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

Well I was hoping for more info on like what setups might be useful if I got one. there are 2 scenarios if I decide to buy an iMac,
    1) new iMac is announced, I buy it
    2) no new iMac is announced, I wait until update then buy it

Of course the issue is do I go with iMac or not? if I do, what do I do to maintain small footprint?

4. sovietpop macrumors newbie

I am exactly in the same situation.
    Right now i am waiting for the new Imac (if there is a new Imac)
    If no new Imac for a reasonable price then i will buy a refurbished Imac.
    Gotta sale my Macbook !

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Still wait until the 16th. Personally I can't understand how you can manage on a laptop screen. Sure, they're fine for when you're out and about or on holiday, in that they're better than nothing. But for long-term use you just can't beat screen size. I went to 21" in 1990 and haven't been able to use anything smaller since then. Having used a 30" screen for the past few years I think i'll struggle going back to 27", but I might have to if there's no other serious option.

I'm currently using a rMBP through a Dell 30" as a desktop, but am about to upgrade to a Mac Pro with a 4K monitor and a retina MBA when they're announced (to use on the sofa). The 5k iMac rumour, though, has made me wait and see whether I go for that instead. A top-spec BTO iMac will likely be closer to the mark than a MP for my requirements.

6. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

Well I've done well on smaller screens but I've found some limitations. My ideal was actually a 13" screen but the MBPs didn't come with video cards on 13". And I'm really only looking at 21", 27" is a bit too big for my needs although I might have to pop into an Apple store just to give a look. I also see that current 27" screens have a better video card than the 21", if that is true for next generation, that might push me to a 27" which is.. huge.

7. R3k macrumors 6502a

Buy a MacBook, and a Thunderbolt Display. Keep display in your office and plug in the MacBook when you work in there.

Buy a playstation.

8. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Use an external monitor (24" say will be a nice compromise between a huge iMac and certainly an upgrade from the laptop) and an external keyboard. Then you can unplug when you want the portability and get rid of the heat issues when you game at home. It's also an economical solution. That said, the iMac is a great, great machine for a home office as it is more powerful and the larger screen is well worth it.

9. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

I would get an external monitor, either 21" 1080p or 27" 1440p for just $100-$500.

This way, you can use the laptop any time as a portable device, and hook it up to the monitor when you're at your desk.

10. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

If you do a lot of business travel a laptop may be a job requirement. Other than that, it is just personal preference.

I had a laptop due to work before I retired. But since, I've ditched it and never looked back. If someone gave me a free high spec MacBook Pro today it would sit completely unused.

The iMac is prefect for my home office. Love the screen, keyboard, quietness, efficiency and overall ergonomics. When out and about the iPad Mini cellular and the iPod Touch satisfy my other needs including photography.

11. leenak thread starter macrumors 68020

I have a work provided laptop which is windows based and I have a second monitor for it.

I am actually rethinking my plan which involves a whole house rearrangement. Basically moving my home office and utilizing the iMac as a secondary monitor for my work computer but we will see if that is really feasible. I'd also be more keen to buy the 27" if that was the plan vs trying to fit into a small space with a 21". And it does all really depend on what happens on the 16th, because if no iMac is announced then I will wait. And I do have to go relook at the current iMacs because I have honestly never looked at them before.

12. jaduff46 macrumors 6502

jaduff46

I'm in the same camp as ColoDane above.

I have a 27" iMac in the home office which allows me to remotely log into work, coupled with quiet keyboard, big screen, classical music in the background, etc. Also have an iPad Air for the commute with books, music and email.

The kids all have laptops, the latest purchase being a 13" Retina MBP last year. The portability works well for them, but I prefer the desktop and the big screen and resolution for work and LightRoom.

13. Roller macrumors 68020

The least expensive solution (one computer for everything) would be a high-end MacBook Pro for home use and travel. The next step up would be to add a monitor for the desktop. However, that arrangement is an ergonomic compromise. If you put the monitor and laptop in front of you, the laptop screen partially obscures the desktop display, unless you keep it closed. (There are other issues as well.)

Separate laptop and desktop computers avoid these issues, but at a higher cost.