Need video card help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ndriver182, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I just got off the phone with apple this morning because I wanted to try to change my MP to include the x1900xt before it shipped and after being told that I caught it in time, the guy realized that the computer had already gone to packing and couldn't be changed after all. So, now that I can't get the x1900xt at the significantly lowered price that was offered at the time of purchase (as opposed to buying separately) there only seem to be a couple of options...

1. Buy an OEM from Newegg, which people seem to have little faith in due to Newegg's return policy/testing of returned items

2. Purchasing off of ebay where qtys are limited and you aren't 100% sure it will work like you hope

The guy on the phone seemed confident that there are a lot of ATI and nVidia cards that are compatible with the MP, but that seems strange to me given the different card bios programming or whatever (sorry, not a video card guru).

So, are there really other options? Is there something newer or equivalent to the x1900xt that is known to be compatible with the current MP machine? All I have coming with my machine is the lowest end nVidia card - NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB.

2. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

3. Buy a 1900 from Apple. When I did this a few months ago, the Apple store reported the card would ship in 10 weeks, but it showed up in 2. Seems like they hold the orders until they get a sufficient quantity to place the order -- making delivery time hit and miss.

As for PC cards, there are a lot of threads on that. Run a search or two.

It seems like a good bet that Apple will rev the Mac Pro within the next little while, so unless you need something now, you might consider option 4) do nothing for now.

3. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Two problems, I've already purchased the MP and it's going to be shipped anytime. I'm not necessarily needing the latest and greatest MP so waiting for a refresh doesn't really interest me.

I'm not necessarily interested in buying the x1900xt from apple unless I have to. I mean it's around $350. Seems a little excessive for that card.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Any PC card will work as long as you're in Windows. The problem being that you're effectively stuck in Windows with one.

I'd wait to see what Apple releases for the low end on the next Mac Pro revision unless you're in an immediate need for a more powerful video card.

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yes another good question as well.

7. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not necessarily in need of something better right this minute. I was just trying to upgrade to the 1900xt before my order shipped just because they give a pretty good price break when you do that, but I changed my mind too late.

It's not a deal-breaker for me. For the most part I would only need the higher-end graphics for any sort of Windows gaming. By no means am I going to make this a Windows only machine. That would obviously defeat a majority of the purpose.

It sounds like I'll just have to wait and make due with what I've got coming for now. It's not like I bought the machine for gaming specifically anyway, it would just be nice to be able to run games in better quality than I could on that iMac I returned should I actually feel like playing a game.

I do appreciate the responses and advice. I'm still very much an Apple newbie and have only been seriously using their computers since January. I'm used to PC's for the most part so I'm not completely familiar with the ins/outs of hardware upgrading or the lack thereof sometimes (although I know it's usually tougher). I'm trying to learn because I really finally got fed up with Windows and really only use it for very minimal purposes these days.

8. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Congrats on your Mac Pro. You are going to love it (even with the stock video card).

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

When the Mac Pros are refreshed Apple will most likely update the graphics card in them. When they do they will be available to buy separately on the Apple Store just like the ATI card is now so you should just wait and buy the new graphics card once the Mac Pros are updated. That is what I am planning on doing.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can add a second video card for Windows. Then use a KVM switch to jump back and forth between cards with OS X and Windows.

At the $400 for a X1900XT you could get a Geforce 8800 GTX from Newegg, assuming the power supply can handle it. I wouldn't try adding an ATI Radeon since for some reason ATI and NVidia don't always get along too well, in Windows at least.