Need Video Editing Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stevenmac5, Sep 8, 2009.

1. stevenmac5 macrumors newbie

I have a DVD which I need to edit for a friend badly. It was taken off of a video camera so the files are mostly in .vob format. I need to edit them either with Imovie or Adobe Premiere. I know it has something to do with the fact they are in VOB but I have tried to convert them. I used mac the ripper to rip the files and tried to rename them to mpg and could only get audio files. I then tried to use Mpeg streamclip to convert them and it said I needed the mpeg-2 plug in. I installed the plug in and I could still not extract it to use to edit. I then tried to use Adobe Media Encoder which I have and I could still only get audio files. Please help me. Thanks.

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

You could try handbrake. Although that hasn't an option for dv. But it does have an option for avi (I believe adobe edits this) and mp4 (I believe iMovie can edit this). Handbrake.fr

3. stevenmac5 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. stevenmac5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used handbrake and did an avi file and am now trying to import it into imovie (I know how to use imovie better than premiere) but it says it's going to take like an hour to import so hopefully it works.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Handbrake is fine for making movies to watch on your iPod but horrible to make movies to edit with. What settings did you use w/MPEGStreamclip? I used it on dozens of DVDs w/o a problem.

Lethal

6. Keebler macrumors 68030

U have to pay for it, but I've found that cinematize pro is a fantastic app

that said, lwolf is right in asking what strings u used b2v mpeg stream is a slid app too

7. stevenmac5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm I'm not sure what settings I used I'm pretty sure I tried to change it to an avi file. What settings should I use? It didnt work trying to add a DV file with handbrake into imovie but I opened it with quicktime so I'm trying to use quicktime to export it to mpeg4. You think this will work?