"Need" vs. "Want" and my next Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tom Light, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Tom Light macrumors member

My dual 2 GHz Power Mac that has served me well is way beyond its three-year warranty now and has me pulling out what hair still remains.

Aperture runs like a dog. Can't edit my AVCHD (have to do it on my Macbook Pro), and I'm way behind in keeping the world safe by doing away with bad guys (gaming).

It's time for a change. Now, the quandry.

What I need is probably an 8-core 2.8 box. What I want is that refurb 8-core 3.2.

Both boxes will help me make a living, but after struggling along for the last couple of years, I want the faster one.

Your job is to bring me back to my senses, or, make me feel better about spending the extra jack. :confused:

(This is only a semi-serious thread, but I am going to order one of these this afternoon....)

2. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Well, this being a rumors forum, I want to say that you should wait until the Mac Pro updates later this year, as the next update will be a huge performance boost!

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Well you need to consider what the 3.2GHz gives you over the 2.8GHz. It will complete processing tasks upto 14% quicker. Then you have to consider how much time you think you will actually be waiting for something to process and be unable to do anything else as that is where you will see the benefit of faster processors. I'm guessing if your work was really time critical, and thus worth spending $1,600 to turn 8 hours of processing into 7, you'd already have a Mac Pro.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Core i7 Xeon Mac Pro's should be out in Q1/early Q2, hold it out.

5. Tom Light thread starter macrumors member

Probably good advice, but just couldn't wait any longer. Ordered an 8-core 2.8 with the 8800 GT video card.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nehalem Gainestown. NOT Core i7.

But yeah, your date is right on the money.

7. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Thats just another factless GUESS from you.

When the new Mac Pro is released is up to Apple. It could be next Tuesday or it could be 12/29 or any date in between.

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

But its based off the Core i7 micro architecture no? Hence Nehalem?

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Nehalem microarchitecture... NAMED Core i7 on the high-end desktop and Core i5 on the mid-range desktop.

Named "Xeon" (and therefore still the codename Gainestown) on the server end and Clarksfield for the laptop chips.