Need vs. Want

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DLG, Mar 1, 2011.

1. DLG macrumors newbie

I would be interested in reading the members thoughts on why they "need" the second generation iPad versus why they just want one.

Assuming that the revision is in line with speculation, what would a second generation iPad do that a current one could not; for your needs of course.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dan

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I do not need one. I am not yet ready to say I want one either. I did not want the original iPad either. I caved one afternoon and it has quickly become one of my favorite devices. It is far too convenient, even with the limitations that won't be rectified with any other version.

The processor and memory seems ok by me. My concern is that the newer and faster processor and more ram will, of course, be utilized by app developers and I'll find myself pigeonholed. At best, I would likely hand this iPad down to someone in my family and buy another if the time comes. The camera, which I believe the next one will have, does not appeal to me one bit. Apps that use the camera may however.

3. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

How is anything going to fall under the "need" category?

4. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Well for now we do not really know what SPECIFIC improvments iPad2 will have over the iPad 1.

Faster processor and more memory is a safe bet.
    Facetime cameras probably on both the front and back.

Do I need either of those, nope. Do I want both of them, yep.

5. namtaB macrumors regular

One big need would be thinner lighter design. I'm not considering an upgrade as I'm happy with the tech specs of the current one. But a substantially thinner and lighter design might make me consider giving my current iPad to a family member or friend and upgrading.

6. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

I don't think anyone could argue "need" for ANY ipad.

7. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Need: Food, Water, Clothing, Shelter
    Want: Everything else you don't need but would be nice to have

8. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

9. DLG thread starter macrumors newbie

OptyCT,

Excluding "Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs", does the current iPad do what you need it to do, or would the speculated spec increase cause a need for an upgrade?

For example, I use Skype very heavily, to receive work calls. As I open more apps, Skype gets flushed out very quickly. I need the ram increase, so I don't need to be conscious of reopening the app so often.

Dan

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Nobody needs anything electronic developed in the last 100 years except for maybe some medical tech. Apple knows this. That is why they go out of their way to sell you "wants", and not once. They dangle their candy in front of us as often as they can, spending more on ads than most other companies on this planet. Each year they bring out new candy to tempt us, with no moral qualms about us not saving out money and being happy with last year's model. It is the American way!

11. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

NEED: faster processing, video/camera operations on the back, any increased function for art or writing, higher res for better work space.

WANT: a mobile computing platform/browser that can do a lot of basic work.

DO NOT WANT-NEED: a useless facetime camera (the most narcissistic and fluff piece of tech ever) on a tablet. It's a nice touch and an extra, but I'd rather they take that microdot of space and put a battery there for an extra 30 seconds of unhooked function.
    -------------
    iPad 2 will probably be a semi-need device for me. Once it becomes an autonomous computer with a lot more computing power and higher resolution with more programs, it's my NEED device.

If Apple made an AirPad, it would be a NEED device for me. Screw people naysaying the weight being 2.5 lbs--do muscle work outs--it would be brilliant for all needs of mine.

You never used an old key-hammer typewriter, have you?
    I suppose that isn't a need, because we could use stone slates and chisels.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

an iPad is a nice tool and toy. I think anyone would be hard pressed to qualify the iPad as a need.

13. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

+1

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

The Beatles said all you need is love.

15. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

We all know the basics of physical and psychological needs and wants of the human life.

Seriously, why are you conflicting the two subjects.

For example, I NEED the iPad 2 right now. Well, one, I don't have the first one. Two, I'm a college student that really can improve my performance for such a device, that can schedule and keep track all of my assignments/deadlines/meetings, read and edit pdf/powerpoint files professors give us, quick internet access, write notes on the device, organize my goals, (as a art major) create some abstract drawings on it(look on youtube), music, ...etc. Also, I don't have a laptop so this would be really nice.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Is it narcissistic for family members living in different cities to use it? What about grandparents using it to video chat with their grand kids? What about enlisted family members using it to video chat with their kids/family back home? If any conversation can be their last which would be nicer, voice or video?

17. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

Nobody needs an iPad. PERIOD. Get real people!

If it would run OS X, then that´s a different story.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't need an iPad, but I certainly want one and will be ordering the new one as soon as I can.

19. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I absolutely need one, and for reasons that make my bar for upgrading quite low: horsepower.

I use my ipad as my primary computer (see my signature), so in the grand scheme of things I tax it quite a bit. 20GB of local files in Goodreader, 2500 contacts and an active calendar with MobileMe, several imap email accounts, etc.

The iPad has felt increasingly laggy for me with each iOS update, made all the more noticeable in contrast with the iPhone 4.

So, the one rumor that everyone seems to agree on - more ram and/or beefier CPU - by itself is enough to get me to upgrade. I need it because I feel it all day every day. Any other improvements will simply be gravy.

Need.

20. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

I take back what I said. :rolleyes:

21. urkel macrumors 68030

Well, nobody actually "Needs" a tablet. These are luxury devices so the reason anyone owns one is based purely on personal justifications rather than necessity.

That said, I'm getting an iPad 2 for the camera. The original intentionally omitted one specifically so they can sell suckers like me two of them. FaceTime is stupid to most people, but I have a new kid so I love it.

22. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

These are the kinds of asinine comments that frankly drive me nuts. Why? Because they presume that their own views of something are (or should be) universal.

Guess what guys? They're not.

I *choose* to use my iPad as my primary computer. So unless you consider a computer of any sort a luxury device - a claim which in this day and age I would find specious at best - then no, *my* iPad is no luxury device. I need it as much as you need whatever you use as your primary computer. In fact, i got it instead of a replacement MBP which would've been 3x the price. THAT would've been a luxury.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Choice =/= Need

IMO having one computer is a necessity. Having a second computer that you choose to use over your other more capable computer is the definition of a luxury not a necessity. Or to phrase it another way, buying an iPad and selling your previous computer is a necessity, buying an iPad and keeping your previous computer is a luxury. I have several computers and I plan on buying an iPad as a luxury device.

24. Glideslope macrumors 601

Glideslope

I have been craving a iPad since day one. Yet, I do not own one. It was WANT vs need.

Time passed, I could see the direction the platform was going, and quite quickly I might add.

My love of 30 years wife is simply not excited by the digital age. She loves to feel the paper of the text book in her hands, she writes notes all day long in pencil. She Breathes Franklin Covey.

Our oldest son received a iPad last June to use in school (junior Chemical Engineering major) from his school. Well, it would come home on break, and mom would pick it up a little more each day of each visit.

Then mom started asking questions, and before you knew it, she was a Multi Touch Aficionado. She began to talk about this ,and that, how easy it was to do this, and that. Curling up on the couch with it was a biggie.

It was now a NEED.

I have reached the conclusion that want easily changes into need with this device. A Wi-Fi model of V2 will be on the Extreme Network after a couple of months of the production run.

It will be enough for a long time. :apple:

25. urkel macrumors 68030

Right, but you dont NEED it.

"Need" is a very strong word and if we're talking about food or oxygen then I can't argue that it's a requirement of life. But Tablets? C'mon. IF a UFO came and teleported away every iPad on the planet then you'd survive just fine because you have a computer and a smartphone.

Life is BETTER with a tablet, but it definitely doesnt stop if you dont have one. So yes, iPad = Luxury Device. There's nothing wrong with admitting that we like to spoil ourselves when we can.