need "which macbook pro" advice in light of refresh rumors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drcgreen, Mar 16, 2010.

1. drcgreen macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2010
    I need advice on which laptop to get, and am getting overwhelmed by all the variables, and differing advice from people.

I need a new laptop, period. I have a powerbook G4 that is shlugging through day-to-day activities, and I haven't been able to back up the harddrive, which adds to the urgency.

More specifically, I need a laptop that can run programs for digital animation, specifically Maya. I'm just starting out in this field so I don't know how quickly i'll need a more "professional" laptop. I was looking at the imac for cost, but i need something portable.

If I decide that cost is the main factor and go with the low-end macbook pro, should I just go with the macbook instead? Or will either of those do what i need?
    Is is worth waiting for the refresh? will the new macbook pros cost even more, or how does that usually work?
    Any advice will be appreciated, and please ask questions if I was unclear about anything.

Thanks in advance!
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    the mb and 13 mbp are identical with exception to the mbp having fw, sd, backlit kb, and aluminum case. The mb comes with a larger hdd default though (250 vs 160)

The mbp also has 60% better gammut on the screen but the mb screen is great imo

Are the mbp features worth the extra 200 for you?

If you need a dedicated vc, you will have to go to the 15" mbp
  3. PAC88 macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2009
    just spend as much as you can afford.. they all perform well, it basically comes down to screen size
  4. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

Jan 22, 2008
    St. Louis, MO.
    This really what it comes down to, except the Macbook had better hard drive and a few less features than the lowest pro.

Have you looked at the tech specs on the apple site?
    What size screen do you want?
  5. drcgreen thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2010
    I have looked at the tech specs - I don't know how much RAM I need, because I was told from one source that I need at least 4GB, but someone else said i'd be find with 2. I don't know what I need as far as the graphics card, but i guess I don't have much choice there.

I want the 15in, but i'm also considering an external display.

It sounds like the 15in is my best bet - a bit more than I'd like to pay though.

On a side note, is not being able to replace the battery a problem?