Need Wifi w/out Airport Card. Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bhayesp, Oct 24, 2008.

1. bhayesp macrumors newbie

My airport card seems to no longer be functioning properly and I'm not confident with buying a new card and opening up the Macbook.

Are there any alternatives to being able to get wifi access? Such as some sort of external wifi card or anything along those lines?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

There are cards that will plug into a USB port, however, they are large, awkward, and use clunky ill-designed interfaces to connect to a network due to the fact that they don't work natively with Apple's AirPort software. In the end, it'd probably just be better to replace the card in the computer than try to get by on an external device.

Although, come to think of it, there is something I think of as somewhat reliable, though I have no experience with it, you might want to look at this.

3. bhayesp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. For a couple reasons I don't want to replace the card. For starters, I live in a tropical environment without a/c, and I'm not inclined to expose the innards of my Macbook to such elements. Also, the closest professional that could do this for me is 4 hours driving distance.

That's an interesting product. More expensive that what I was hoping for, but being familiar with Tekserve it gives me a little confidence that they stock it.

4. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

You may consider wireless bridge, something like D-Link DWL-G810.
    If your Mac is not stationary it may be hard to find something that does not require power outlet.