Need Wifi

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by OneMoreMacUser, Jan 17, 2014.

1. OneMoreMacUser macrumors member

I have an iMac g3 rev. A and it's running os 9. I would like to find a way to connect it to wifi because my ethernet is in my basement, and that's not a great place to enjoy this mac. Is there any way to connect it to wifi, and have driver support for os 9 and possibly OS X?

Or a way to have my wifi connect to something else then have Ethernet going into the mac?

2. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

3. three macrumors 6502a

three

I'm in a similar situation with my iMac G3s. I picked up a Netgear WiFi Range Extender (this one) and connected it to my wireless network and am using the ethernet ports to connect to each of the iMacs. Works perfectly.

4. OneMoreMacUser thread starter macrumors member

Will this Ethernet bridge work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CO5DZ4?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

It's a bit cheaper

5. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

That should work, but keep in mind that it is used.

6. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Not sure if this will help you but what I have done with my imac g3 running 9.2/10.4 is plug in a bluetooth adapter into the usb port. Not the fastest connection but works pretty well. Only thing is you must have another computer to share the network connection with (I use my 2011 macbook pro) and I haven't gotten it to work with os 9 yet because it does not seem to have the drivers to use it.

7. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

Alternatively if you put DD-WRT on one of the old blue Linksys wireless routers (WRT54 etc) they can be used as a wireless bridge, may well be cheaper than a dedicated bridge device.