Need Windows 7. Boot Camp only supports Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by durija, Apr 8, 2015.

1. durija macrumors 6502

In early February, I installed Windows 7 in Boot Camp on a brand new MBP running Yosemite. My boss just tasked me with doing the same for a colleague. I get this message when I try to create a bootable USB with my W7 iso in Boot Camp Assistant:

"Boot Camp only supports Windows 8 or later installation on this platform."

Does anyone know a workaround for this?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There isn't.

Haswell Macs were the transition to a pure UEFI setup, where Haswell Macs still had a BIOS-CSM layer along with UEFI 2.0, whereby Windows 7 could be installed in BIOS and Windows 8/8.1 could be installed in UEFI.

Ivy Bridge and earlier Macs only had EFI 1.1 and BIOS-CSM (these Macs could only install Windows in BIOS mode).

Broadwell (current Macs) got rid of the BIOS-CSM layer entirely and henceforth, remove support for Windows 7. Windows 7 won't work with UEFI well.

So save the trouble and just use Windows 8.1. It's pretty good.

3. NJFP macrumors 6502

Ran into a similar problem. Late 2008 MBP, had Windows Vista on a partition. Running Yosemite now, and replaced the HDD with an SSD. Went to re-install Vista......NOPE! In my case I needed Windows 7 or newer. So.... My Mac buddy told me to try Parallels and install Vista in that. I did and it works! If you have a full install Win 7, d/l the free trial Parallels and run 7 in that. See how it works for you. Gonna cost you $79.95 for Parallels, and over $100.00 for a full install Windows. With Parallels, you don't have to reboot! I only need Windows for two simple non processor heavy programs, so it works well for me. Just my 2C.