Need windows but have no idea about doing it

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Skippymon, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Skippymon macrumors newbie

I have a need to run a Windows program but I moved to a MacBook Air last year. It is an i7, 256GB SSD with 8GB RAM model. Currently it has circa 40GB free but I could increase that if need be.

I know nothing about installing Windows on my Mac other than it is possible. Where would I get Windows from?
    Which version should I get?
    Is XP still available?
    How much storage would I need to devote to the Windows partition?
    Is the process reversible?
    What are the risks as my Mac is just perfect at the moment!

Maybe I should consider getting a really cheap Windows laptop or computer just to run this programme that I need?

2. Skippymon thread starter macrumors newbie

When I set the partition size, is it fixed and can it later be changed?

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Boot Camp Assistant will give you the option to set whatever partition size you want as long as it's greater than 20 GB. What program are you trying to run? Is it something that can be done with virtualization (eg Parallels or VMWare Fusion)?

4. Skippymon thread starter macrumors newbie

I realise that Bootcamp will give me the option when I set it up, but say I choose 20BG. Can I increase that later on or is it not possible to change the size once its been set up?

I'm sorry I don't even understand the last part of your post! I need to run MS flight sim and an Airbus training program that is only available for Windows.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Changing the windows partition can only be done with third party software and often leads to problems. 20GB isn't really enough, windows gets bloaty fast. 40GB can work.

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Virtualization is basically an emulator that's capable of running Windows without having to leave OS X. However, for the types of programs you're running, I wouldn't recommend going this route. Unfortunately, MS Flight Simulator by itself can take up a lot of drive space, especially when add-ons/expansions are used. I normally suggest 40 GB as an absolute bare minimum for a Windows installation. In your case, if you don't want to resort to using external storage for your programs, you should dedicate at least 60 GB.

7. the-prophet macrumors member

And I can do that with the base level MacBook Air?

Can I uninstall it once I'm done with it all?9