Need Windows help (PC not Mac)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Orange Furball, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I'm trying to install windows on a PC. I started with Windows XP, and it wouldn't detect the drive. It is an older system. I tried both SATA onboard, IDE onboard, and a SATA Raid card. Windows XP setup would not detect any drives.

So I decided to try windows 7, and it picked up the IDE drive. I was able to format it, but it would not install.

What can I do?

PS. Also tried Windows 8, but its a 32bit system so it wouldn't install. Thanks!

2. And macrumors 6502

And

I'd have a few beers. :eek:

3. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Could you be more specific as to what you mean by "wouldnt" install? What error are you getting, or is it getting stuck at.
    I'm assuming if you can format the drive via Windows 7, the installer loads via DVD/USB and you're able to get to the "Pick a drive to install windows 7 on" bit.

Also, you said you tried SATA/RAID/IDE onboard to install. What sort of HDD do you have though, is it SATA or IDE?

One could be more helpful if you listed the components in question, aka the motherboard make and model, hard drive make and model etc.

4. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Maybe there is a problem mixing the old motherboard with a new HD, or the HD is using the wrong partition scheme (GUID instead of MBR). If you are using hardware RAID, you may also have to install additional drivers before Windows setup can start.

Anyway, for diagnosis, you can boot a linux system from DVD and then check if the disk is recognized in linux. Or use a program like this: http://download.cnet.com/Rescue-Kit-Free-Edition/3000-2094_4-10910591.html.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

What was the error when it wouldn't install on Windows 7?

What version of the Windows XP installer were you using? Remember that XP goes from 2001 all the way to 2008, so using the original disk might be an issue and you'll need drivers. Even 2007 parts might be too "new" for the installer. :D

Are you making changes to the BIOS as you switch these?

I think Berlepsch is right, you should try a Live CD.

6. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I have tried both SATA and IDE hard drives. I also tried using one of those IDE to SATA converter things. None worked.

I will get a components list up later. The parts are very old though.

I haven't thought of it being GUID vs MBR. I will definitely try the Live CD. Thanks

These components are probably from around the early 2000s haha. I'm using a Window XP with SP3 though, so I would imagine the OS is new enough to have drivers and such. I did play around in the BIOS but there aren't many options to change. Its pretty basic

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That's the joy of pc. Too many variations in hardware and install disks.

You might want to pay a store such as Microcenter or Best Buy to diagnose the problem.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Doesn't your copy of Windows 8 include a 32bit disc?

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Sounds most likely to be a BIOS issue to me. Is SATA enabled in the BIOS? Is there an updated BIOS you can flash?

Windows 7 doesn't like GUID. There is no way to install Win7 on a GUID partitioned HD. It has to be MBR.

10. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Not worth it. PCs are easy to fix, most of the time. I know this is just a stupid issue that will be resolved soon

No, only 64 bit

That's what I was thinking, but I can't see any settings that would cause this in the bios.

I am currently exploring the Ubuntu Live CD attempting to change the drive from GPT (GUID) to MBR

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Download GParted Live. It's a bootable GNU/Linux distribution that can be run via a CD, USB stick, etc.

GParted Live allows you to add, delete, format, resize, copy and move partitions, and it includes tools to check the data structure for errors, plus it can read and write to a variety of file systems, including EXT2, EXT3, FAT16, FAT32, HFS, HFS+ and NTFS.

How to Use the GParted Live CD

12. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Thank you to everyone who helped, I finally figured it out. I dug out my old IDE to USB 1.0 adapter and reformatted the hard drive to MBR NTFS on a Mac. It still didn't work, so I looked at the jumper positioning on the IDE drive. The jumper was in MASTER, but I removed it to put it into Single or Master mode. After that the Windows 7 installer allowed me access to it! Got it installed, got all my drivers via Driverpacks (which are a blessing!)

She works now. I hope I never have to fix one of these again, I am fine with fixing PCs but never have I had this many problems with one before. I'll stick with repairing PCs made within the last decade! Thanks again everyone!