Need "Windows On A Mac" Advice

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dsnort, Oct 12, 2007.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I'm looking at putting Windows on a Macbook to run 1 or 2 windows only Apps that I may need in the future. I don't need a lot of horsepower or graphics, so I was thinking a virtualisation model, either Parallels or VMWare. I has a few questions.

1. Which is better, Parallels or VMWare? I like the sound of Coherence in Parallels, does VMWare have anything similar?

2. Where is a good place to get a copy of XP Home? (Thinking price here).

3. I've seen OEM copies advertised,whats the difference between that and a full copy? Would an OEM copy work?

Thanks for the help.

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

1. Haven't had much experience with VMWare, however I have used Parallels and it works fantastically. Coherence mode rocks.

2. eBay

3. An OEM disk will only allow you to install it one machine. This means even if you erase Windows from your HD intending to use the disk to put it on another machine, your SOL. Activation will fail. However a FULL version of XP will allow you to install it on other computers aslong as you don't have two activated at once. Otherwise it is the same, Just different license agreements is all.