Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Hello everyone!

I am looking for a new mouse that is wired and I was wondering if there is a mouse or trackpad that has the touch/gesture support of the Magic Mouse/Trackpad? I have searched and searched, but I cannot seem to find so much as a single one!??

If there isn't one available, is there a mouse that comes close at least, perhaps with programmable buttons that mimic some of the gestures, such as the double-tap to zoom in on an area on a website, for example?

I am not a gamer, by the way, so I'm simply looking for a comfortable mouse (or trackpad) that is wired that has all or most of the functionality of the wireless-only mouse/trackpad from Apple.

Thanks so very much for any info! I'd like to purchase one ASAP! :)

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hello everyone!

I am looking for a new mouse that is wired and I was wondering if there is a mouse or trackpad that has the touch/gesture support of the Magic Mouse/Trackpad? I have searched and searched, but I cannot seem to find so much as a single one!??

If there isn't one available, is there a mouse that comes close at least, perhaps with programmable buttons that mimic some of the gestures, such as the double-tap to zoom in on an area on a website, for example?

I am not a gamer, by the way, so I'm simply looking for a comfortable mouse (or trackpad) that is wired that has all or most of the functionality of the wireless-only mouse/trackpad from Apple.

I'd look at the Logitech Gaming Mice. Some of them have gone wireless but I suspect that they still have a lot of wired products. Some of them have a lot of buttons/controls too.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I'd look at the Logitech Gaming Mice. Some of them have gone wireless but I suspect that they still have a lot of wired products. Some of them have a lot of buttons/controls too.
I actually second this. I was using a wireless Logitech MX Master mouse that worked great in MacOS but worked not so well in bootcamp (Bluetooth issues in bootcamp). I got a wired Logitech G502 and it is very comfortable and has quite a bit of programmability.

As for actual gesture support in MacOS, I can’t say that I know of any trackpads or mice other than Apple’s own that support gesture functions. It might be a somewhat proprietary function that Apple hasn’t lent out to 3rd manufacturers of mice and trackpads.

mylittlepwny

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2018
I tried a Logitech MX Master (wireless) on my mac a while back but had problems with it un-pairing itself every day. Also the side buttons are not able to be programmed in games or apps like Discord to use the mic for example. There is a MX Master 2 but I'm hesitant to try it because of these issues on the first gen. The gesture button on the MX Master was very nice though, next best thing to having the Apple glass trackpad.

Also it's 2019, why would anyone want a wired mouse? I use a Logitech G305 now and the single battery has lasted over a year now and still going strong.

I believe you can leave the Apple desk trackpad plugged in all the time if you want, the Magic Mouse though has the charge port on the bottom.

Reactions: Fuchal

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I tried a Logitech MX Master (wireless) on my mac a while back but had problems with it un-pairing itself every day. Also the side buttons are not able to be programmed in games or apps like Discord to use the mic for example. There is a MX Master 2 but I'm hesitant to try it because of these issues on the first gen. The gesture button on the MX Master was very nice though, next best thing to having the Apple glass trackpad.

Also it's 2019, why would anyone want a wired mouse? I use a Logitech G305 now and the single battery has lasted over a year now and still going strong.

I believe you can leave the Apple desk trackpad plugged in all the time if you want, the Magic Mouse though has the charge port on the bottom.

Yep, if you plug the USB cable of the magic keyboard or trackpad into your computer it will operate as a wired USB device.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

Some people don't want to deal with charging batteries or they want something very light. I personally use wireless mice about 70% of the time and use wired because I haven't bought wireless mice for a few other machines which aren't used as much.

There are gamers that prefer wired mice too. I don't have the precision and timing requirements that gamers do.

Reactions: Painter2002

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
So the main reason I switched back from a wireless MX Master to my wired Logitech G502 was for two reasons:

1) Other devices constantly caused bluetooth device connection issues, causing my mouse to lag seriously in MacOS. And in bootcamp on the most recent updates to Windows bluetooth connections are not working for many (myself included).
2) Having a wired mouse for gaming allows for a better connection and more accurate DPI than a comparably priced wireless gaming mouse.

So yes it's 2019 but there are reasons to use a wired mouse, so don't be too quick to judge. ;)

mylittlepwny

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2018
So the main reason I switched back from a wireless MX Master to my wired Logitech G502 was for two reasons:

1) Other devices constantly caused bluetooth device connection issues, causing my mouse to lag seriously in MacOS. And in bootcamp on the most recent updates to Windows bluetooth connections are not working for many (myself included).
2) Having a wired mouse for gaming allows for a better connection and more accurate DPI than a comparably priced wireless gaming mouse.

So yes it's 2019 but there are reasons to use a wired mouse, so don't be too quick to judge. ;)

Well bluetooth does suck, I'll agree with you there.

Reactions: Painter2002

garethsuarez

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
I use a steelseries rival 500, lots of programmable buttons that are easy to reach. I would suggest a razer naga trinity, which is what I use at work, but it's almost useless on MacOS due to the state of the drivers.

while I do play games occasionally, and appreciate the wired mouse support there, I mainly use the programability of my mouse for keybindings in visual studio and VS Code, and some of the gesture support.

That being said, my main workstation at home also has a magic trackpad to the left of the keyboard, so I have full gesture support there, as well as the multi-button mouse on the right (I'm left handed, so using the trackpad left handed doesn't seem so odd, righties may find that a bit more akward).

Hello everyone!

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Thank you to everyone for some excellent suggestions! :)

Just to follow up...

Yep, if you plug the USB cable of the magic keyboard or trackpad into your computer it will operate as a wired USB device.

If this really works, that would be the best solution for me. Or do you strictly mean in terms of not having to re-charge the batteries??

So if I plug in a Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Keyboard 2 via the Lightning connector and disable Bluetooth, will they work?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

Just to follow up...

If this really works, that would be the best solution for me. Or do you strictly mean in terms of not having to re-charge the batteries??

So if I plug in a Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Keyboard 2 via the Lightning connector and disable Bluetooth, will they work?

Go to an Apple Store and try it?

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX

Just to follow up...

I can’t say with 100% certainty, but I believe those devices still connect via Bluetooth even while plugged into the computer. I don’t think there is a way to force them to use the cable as it’s actual data connection.

N9JIG

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2019
SW USA
I can’t say with 100% certainty, but I believe those devices still connect via Bluetooth even while plugged into the computer. I don’t think there is a way to force them to use the cable as it’s actual data connection.

A little late to this thread but I have been looking for this same solution myself, a wired version of the Magic Mouse or Logitech Ultra Thin Touch...

As for the question, it appears that when you plug in a Magic Keyboard or Trackpad it becomes a wired USB device and the wireless is either disabled or not used. To prove this I plugged in my Magic Keyboard and turned off Bluetooth on the computer. My first gen Magic Mouse (AA battery) stopped working instantly but the keyboard remained working when plugged into the Lightning cable. As soon as I pulled the plug it stopped working.

Reactions: Sojourn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.