Need wired VOIP headset for Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by swingerofbirch, Feb 15, 2008.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Hi, I'm about to begin a job working from home, and the company I'm working for requires that with the Centra net-meeting software I have a wired VOIP headset.

The software the company uses supports Mac, but they don't know anything about Macs.

Do you all know if I can buy any wired VOIP headset for the Macbook? Do VOIP headsets require drivers? If so, do you know of any that have Intel native drivers?

Sorry for so many questions--just don't know anything about this.

2. PDE macrumors 68020

Try "the Boom" - it's very lightweight, has amazing sound suppression technology and is just generally an extremely high quality headset.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You can't use a Bluetooth headset? Cause those work fine with VOIP. I used to use the same BT headset for both my Mac (Skype) and my mobile phone.

5. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I didn't realize how simple they are--I just bought the cheapest one that said it was mac compatible at staples, I got a plantronics. It's a headset with two cords--sound in and out, and then came with a USB adapter, but I realized I don't even need the adapter--the Macbook has a sound in and out that it works with.

No--I couldn't use bluetooth--since it's an at home business that's supposed to be secure we can't use wifi or bluetooth or cordless phones--everything has to be wired, either for security or the perception of it, I'm not sure which, but it's the rule anyhow.

6. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I'd double check your mic volume with the line-in versus the USB. As a previous poster mentioned, the "mic" port on a MacBook is really a line-in, so unless your mic is powered, the levels are incredibly low. I had a very simple "in/out" headset from a previous PC, but the super low mic volume with the MacBook makes it virtually useless. I had to go USB to get the appropriate levels.

Give the USB adapter a try and see if there is a difference.

Cheers