Need Wireless External Hard Drive Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by itb165, Aug 5, 2015.

1. itb165 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I'm currently running a rMB 12" and I'm looking for an efficient way to backup files and do time machine backups. I like that the macbook doesn't have ports, so I'm looking for an at home solution. I'm using a Netgear nighthawk x6 router, and want to hook an external hard drive up to it. Can anyone recommend a good hard drive for this? Preferably about 2 TB and USB 3.0, don't think I need much more than that.

2. itb165 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

any external hard disk as long as it is in a retail box and comes with a retail warranty.
    do not use hybrid drives on usb ports. they draw too much power.
    time machine wants HFS+ , it also wants an up to date SMB. netgear is really good about updating all their SMBs, so that is okay. if the router cant read/write HFS+ then you won't be able to back up to it, i thinK.

if the router can only read/write NTFS and FAT32 , then you probably won't be able to run time machine.

so you probably should be looking for a time machine , or a NAS that connects to your router via ethernet and supports time machine

find any external disk. format it to HFS+ connect it to the router and see if time machine will back up to it

or maybe format the disk to HFS+, let it do one backup, and then put it on the router

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

for backing up a mac over wifi you have 3 solutions.

1) buy a time capsule
    2) format a disk to HFS+ and attach it to an airport extreme
    3) buy a NAS like a netgear readynas 102 and connect it to your router

5. itb165 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. So simply using a WD passport that is USB powered and formatting it correctly would be no good?

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if its formatted to HFS+ and your router supports reading and writing to that file system, it should be fine with time machine

if the router doest support HFS+ then time machine won't probably work

try different formats, try EXFAT , i love EXFAT because mac and windows use it out of the box

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603