Need wireless router that will receive a wireless (PPPOE) connection and share it.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by milky23, Aug 18, 2007.

1. milky23 macrumors regular

I am currently in an apartment living with 2 other guys. We need to get internet to our 3 laptops. One of us is paying for a wireless internet subscription with a local company; the signal comes from a roof somewhere around our apartment complex. The connection goes through PPPoE and requires a username and password. We need a wireless router that will connect to this wireless network (as well as log in through PPPoE) and share it through a protected wireless signal that we three can share.

Does that make sense? Basically, rather than receiving the connection through a wire and sharing it wirelessly, we need to receive the connection and share it wirelessly.

Thanks

2. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Basically it looks like its a wireless bridge that you are after. Unfortunatly thats about all I can say on the matter, sorry.

Hope that helps to point you in the right direction, and post back telling us how you get on with it!! :)

3. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

So basicaly you want to take the one wireless signal...and get a router that will split it wirelessly for all three laptops?

If that's the case, you'll need a wireless repeater. You would set the router up with the PPPoE information and setup the rest of the configuration. The three laptops would then just need to connect to the repeater...which you'd prolly put a password with the SSID. In each laptop, if you find that SSID network, put in the password, you'll each be able to get online since your ISP "thinks" your only logged into one "computer"..... which is actually the wireless repeater.

Is that what you were looking to do? PPPoE is usually DSL and it doesn't always 100% remain online... maybe once every week you'll get logged off, but it will come back online after a while. I use to have Verizon DSL do that to me.