Need you opinion on this: horizontal flickering lines :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxap, Apr 9, 2009.

1. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey guys,

I have a question for you. A couple of days ago I noticed that I get sometimes weird flickering lines on my Unibody Macbook Pro... I am using the 9400 Nvidia graphic card, while it happens...

It is just like this like, but smaller:
    [​IMG]

I thought they were just my imagination, but I guess they are not. Sometimes when I use FireFox, I can see these like just appear and dissapear very quickly. It happens like 2-3 times a day if I pay attention to it and the lines can appear everywhere on the screen, so not in one particular are of it. Sometimes I can see these lines on the desktop. But I also use MS Word a lot and haven't seen it while using it.

I am a bit worried as it can mean that the videocard or the memory of my Macbook Pro are going to die pretty soon. But on the other side, I understand that if the graphic card was giving it up, then I would see much worse artifacts, the same applies for the memory.

Maybe it is just a driver issue or a Leopard issue. Can anybody give his opinion on that? Should I be worried?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

First with any luck it is just the video card being overloaded with processes. Second it may have problems, but if you were really concerned, you would all AppleCare or take it to an Apple Store to get looked at.

TEG

3. maxap thread starter macrumors 6502

maxap

It happens when my laptop isn't under a massive load, but when I do just regular stuff (browsing on the internet). So it isn't the case that the graphic card gets overloaded...

I really hope my 9400M doesn't have any issues... :(

4. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I just had my screen replaced under waranty for huge backlight bleeding and I now have this problem. Every 5 minutes watching a divx and under normal usage, It happens less (or im just not looking there when it happens). It happens mostly on the left.

This sucks.

5. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I had the same exact problem. It happened in the lower left hand side of the screen. It flashed a horizontal line of white pixels about 3 inches long a couple times a day. I took it into the apple store and they replaced the whole laptop, but the one they replaced it with also had the same problem. They then replaced that one which is the one I currently have, and it doesn't have the problem anymore. Good luck getting them to replace it though. The manager at the store was very skeptical since I couldn't replicate the problem for them to see. They also claimed that their "sophisticated hardware test" said nothing was wrong.

If they only replaced the display that that would indicate that it is a problem with the display and not with the graphics card. People should post their display model and say whether they have the problem or not. I have a 9C84 and don't have the problem. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the display model was on the one that did have the problem.

6. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I have an 84 and used to have an 85 which was ok (apart from the backlight bleeding).