Need you to explain stuff for me...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion11, Oct 18, 2011.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Hey guys/gals...

Couple quick questions that needs answering from some of you people in the know...

1) When I save stuff to iCloud...is there a site I can go to on my computer to put it on my desk top? Kinda like what dropbox does??

2) Why would one need a .me mail account to use mail in notifications?? Why can't my gmail emails show up in notifications??

That's it for now guys....I'm sure I'll think of more tomorrow...thanks!

2. DerekTS macrumors regular

iCloud puts all your stuff on all devices that you have registered to iCloud. All the stuff on my 4S is automatically synced to my computer with the next iCloud sync.

3. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Thanks for the response...but missed the major part of question 1...can I access those files on my PC??? Like if I stored a document on my iPhone, could I open it up somehow on my PC?...just like how dropbox does it?

Thanks again.

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

There is a site to access, iCloud.com, of you'd prefer to do it manually.

My gmail, me and msn all work just, I get notifications for all of them.

5. theperipheral macrumors 6502

I think YOU'RE missing something. iCloud puts the files on your phone ONTO your computer if you have iCloud enabled on your computer. You don't need to access the files manually because it puts them there automatically. Once they are there, you can do whatever you want with them, I believe.

6. Justim, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

Justim macrumors 6502

The new lion update has iCloud built in. If you have Documents in the Cloud turned on, every Pages, Keynote, or Numbers file you make on a device will show up across the board. (Make a document on your iPhone, it goes to your iPad and Mac... And vice versa.) where those files go on a Mac, I haven't tested. Try Spotlighting for the document and post back where that document goes.

Gmail email and your iCloud account are two different setups on each device. By turning on iCloud email, you are asked to create an @me email address. If you want you Gmail email, set up your email account as you would normally in Mail, Contacts and Calanders. One thing I will mention, is if you want to sync notes between devices, you must create an @me email address. The reason for this is because a Note is found in Mail on a mac. When you create on, its kind of like sending an email to yourself. But the note will show up in the Notes app on an iPhone and iPad.

I think some of these guys lack the interpreting skills that comes along with working in retail over 5 years. Not that your questions were cryptic.

7. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Thanks so much man...really cleared all that up for me! :)

I don't have any other Apple device except for my iPhone, so transferring between devices isn't all that useful for me...I look forward to the day where I can drop files into my iCloud account via my PC and pull them up in the iPhone...kinda like vice versa to the current way it's done. Cool idea, good job Apple.

8. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Why when at home my wifi chooses a different local weather? Why does my compass point south when it should be north?? Is this happening to anyone else??

Also in the wifi settings, it says "wifi increases location accuracy"....does it only increase the accuracy if you're connected to a network? Or just by having it turned on it helps increase the accuracy??

9. elistan macrumors 6502a

Apple offers an iCloud implementation for Windows, so it'll sync just like in Lion. (I assume - I haven't used the Windows version.) Here's the download link: http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html

It's worth noting, however, that right now iCloud is not a generalized document storage service like DropBox. It's more tightly correlated with specific applications. So while iWork docs (Keynote, Pages and Numbers) will replicate, that's it. You can't stick a random text file or ZIP file onto iCloud and have it replicate.