Need your advice about the best mac-based notebook for win7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by asada, Nov 27, 2010.

1. asada macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I have a trouble. My MBP 15' i7 core +SSD is overheating when I am working under bootcamp in Windows 7.
    So, I am planning to change it.
    For me mac+windows - is necessary.

So, could you tell me, which mac is "colder" (don't becoming crazy hot)/longer battery life when working with win7 office work/gaming:
    macbook air 13' 1.86 Ghz
    macbook air 13' 2.13 Ghz
    macbook pro 13' 2.4 Ghz C2D + SSD
    macbook pro 15' 2.4 Ghz i5 + SSD

Owners of theese models, could you please test the temperature with a program "XRG Resource Graph" or "iStat"?

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Are you using something to control your fans under Windows? You may just need more airflow than you are getting.

B

3. asada thread starter macrumors newbie

I just need to know, which of macbooks is cooler during the work.
    I understand, that I can use program for fan controlling.
    So, could you tell me, if you know, which one is cooler.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The problem is that you are asking two things:

Colder
    Longest battery life

They are not the same thing, and it seems like you are most interested in the battery life and are using "colder" as a proxy for that.

Overall the least powerful Mac will be the coldest. Lowest TDP on the CPU, integrated graphics only. The problem is that those machines also have a smaller battery.

(My MB runs a bit cooler than my MBP in Windows due to the lack of discrete graphics). Yet the battery life is about the same since the 13" has a smaller battery.

B

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

Something must be wrong if your laptop is overheating in office. I would exchange for the same one except get a standard hard drive instead of the SSD. My macbook unibody 13 inch late 2009 runs just as cool in windows 7 as in Mac snow leopard, although battery life is usually about 40% better in Mac OS since I have far few programs running in that OS.

I could understand if you hear a lot of fan noise while playing games, but not overheating - that seems to point to a physical defect.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm the opposite (usually have more running in the background under OS X than Windows) and battery life in Windows is still significantly worse than under OS X.

B

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

You're probably right on this. I simply can't afford to buy mac versions of my windows software. :)