Need your advice on my setup!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mademan118, Jan 31, 2014.

1. mademan118 macrumors regular

So here's the deal. I trade in the market on a daily basis and have TWO 27" monitors attached to my brand new 13" rMBP w/ 2.4ghz/8gb/256gb. The monitors are simple 1920:1080 dell professional series monitor (P27xxx).

I want to add a 3rd 2x" monitor to the setup. The problem is, I would need a box by Matrox called the triple head to run all 3 monitors from my macbook. This device is $300.

My other option is to return my rMBP and buy a 27" iMac. I have an iPad that can do much of what I need on the road, however I will probably end up with a macbook air at sometime. This way the iMac will give me the real-estate I need on my screen and can adequately power both monitors.

I am at a loss at what I should do. I feel like I am asking my rMBP to do to much. please with it 2 1/2 feet away and lifted on the twelve south hi rise stand, the screen isn't the easiest to see.

What do you guys suggest?

2. kittencounter macrumors member

What do you want to do with your setup may I ask. You want to drive 3 big external monitors with 13inch rMBP ..it's kinda weird.

An 27 inch iMac with 2 x 27 inch monitors on the side seem to be a nice setup for whatever you want to do with them :D.

3. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you answered your own question. You don't need a MacBook Pro, yet you bought one. Return it and buy an iMac.

4. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure if you are familiar with stock market and trading. But Basically I have 2 27" monitors on either side of my 13" rMBP standing vertically.
    -The monitor on my left has 3 charts/quotes
    -The rMBP screen is shifting between safari windows, mail, iMessage, trade screen
    -The monitor on my right has a heat map of the entire market, along with a fundamental analysis gadget (balance sheet, income statement, etc) window.

I want to get another monitor to run above my 13" rMBP screen that I can use to stream CNBC, and a few other windows that I would like to have visible at all times. the gadget to do that is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815106029

So at $340 (monitor) + $300 (box) = $640. This could get me a 27" iMac with 1tb fusion, i7, and 2gb vram as a refurbished model if I return my 13" rMBP.

Plus it is a huge pain in the ass every time to unplug everything from my rMBP (2 monitors, power cable, ethernet cable, usb hard drive) when I have to go somewhere.

----------

Haha I am realizing this. After I checked the refurbished prices, its a done deal.