Need Your Advice :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maldini, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Maldini macrumors regular

Maldini

Hi there I'm new here and i'm planing to get a new MB or MBP...
    i've been reading most of the posts about new Mac users which were really helpful..but i have a couple of questions that will help me decide..
    Can the SR MB handle video editing & run windows without problems?
    Will the MBP with 128mb graphic card run games smoothly?
    and i've read a lot about keyboard freezing issues and wifi problems..are these common?
    Appreciate your help :)

and tell me what you think about this offer..worth it?

[​IMG]

5990 sr =1550 $

PS: the Crucial RAM link up there doesnt work !

Edit: I wrote this in the wrong section didnt i ?!!!

2. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

First of all, that must be an old machine if it's a Core Duo. We're now on Core 2 Duo and have been so for over a year. This must be a typo though because I believe the Core Duos only went up to 2.0 Ghz.

It can handle light video editing - ie. iMovie. Anything more and you'll find it slow.

Windows will be fine on it - both in Boot Camp and Parallels or Fusion. Put more RAM in though.

3. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

If you want portability and are on a budget get the Macbook. If not, go the MBP.

And yes, that offer isn't really worth it. Most people are upgrading from those CD Macbooks, rather than buying them.

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Definitely go for the MBP if you can. The 128MB should be fine for games now (of course, that depends on what you play). Don't buy the MB for video editing, but windows should run okay. I don't know much about the laptops, but I do know my vid cards! :D

5. mBurns macrumors 6502

Adding to what a previous poster said:

They actually did make a 2.16 Ghz CD MacBook Pro. I should know, I own one. I doubt this AD is a mistake. It does seem strange that they have old stock of MacBook Pros..

I bought my 2.16 CD MacBook Pro over a year ago.

6. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I'm not surprised they're still selling them. If you checked out the Apple Poland site a couple of months ago, it looked like crud - still advertising stuff from years ago.

Unfortunately alot of countries, especially those in the developed world, bank on selling old technology at over inflated prices hoping the average consumer doesn't check out international pricing. IMHO, the original poster would be better off checkout the pricing of international sites.

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

That's not a picture of a macbook, that's an iBook g4 14"!!! (with an iSight and IR receiver?!)

Sounds fishy to me.

8. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

True, very true. Too bad I couldn't find Apple Saudi Arabia or an online Saudi website selling Apple computers. There are a couple of online US retailers who are willing to ship to Saudi Arabia.

9. Maldini thread starter macrumors regular

Maldini

I just went to that store and man that MB was old..i'm sure they wanna get rid of their stock thats why the offer.. and based on ur recommendation i'll go with the MBP from Apple store US. hopefully they can send it to Saudi.

There is no Apple store Saudi Arabia only resellers and all their systems are Tiger with no free leopard upgrade.. and they told me the new SR MB will only come after their stock of current MB are sold !!!!!!! i dont wanna do business with these ppl.. the problem is...many Saudis are buying Macs i've seen a lot in Uni's and offices..and now there is a Saudi Mac community www.saudimac.com but i dont know if the problems are from the Saudi resellers or from the source Apple !
    here this is an article from a Saudi blog:

" A sad Leopard in Saudi Arabia!
    I do have a small and quick rant about Leopard, a source told me that Apple’s Saudi Arabia distributor, Arab Computers (you can check their official, blank site here) have brought only 25 copies of Leopard to the Market. One of the Apple resellers asked for 250 licenses and they are only getting a literal handful of copies. Apparently the resellers were expected to make illegal copies of Leopard! And I know of at least 1 store that offers illegal install of Apple software.
    While our friends in UAE are enjoying an actual launch event only 2 days after the official release of Leopard while we wait for the humble distributor here to actually provide enough licenses to cover to Saudi market (which is way bigger than 25).
    I did not install a “downloaded image” of Leopard but I ordered one from Amazon and had it shipped to me. In case you did not get your copy of Leopard yet and you want to support our site, please consider buying it from Amazon through us (as we get a small percentage of the sale). You can buy it from this link: Apple Mac OS X Version 10.5 Leopard
    ."

and i just stumbled on the 'Official' Apple arabia site www.appleme.ae
    which is basically a copy paste from the US ste with NO online store :(

Thank you all for the help and hopefully i can contribute to this wonderful forum after i get my BRAND NEW MBP ;)

10. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Lets put it lightly. For Apple to set up an Apple network, they would need to send 'undesirable people' (undesirable according to the repressive legal system in Saudi Arabia) to Saudi Arabia to do it.

Most people in Apple wouldn't voluntarily go to Saudi Arabia either - basically the problems in Saudi Arabia, like the rest of the middle east, when it comes to technology and attracting/keeping talented people, comes down to government policy.

There is very little that can be done until the countries act.

11. Maldini thread starter macrumors regular

Maldini

well they are not undesirable..but sadly its a pain in the ass to get a visa to Saudi..which sucks really..but this is the case in this country only.. not the entire middle east.. i mean look at UAE for example they ar one of the fastest developing countries and they welcome talented people in every field ..and the apple site i mentioned before is .AE 'Arab Emirates' and they have a lot of online stores which i buy from..but not for Apple :mad:

12. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Lets put it this way, I'd be quite happy to work there, but given I'm gay (and a Sufi Muslim), the chances of getting my head chopped of is pretty high. When you narrow down the fact that no women, gay, lesbian, Muslim's of non-Wahhabi background, etc. etc. can go there without major legal problems sitting above their head, I'm not surprised about the problems.

If the Saudi Arabia want to live circa 12th century Europe with capital punishment and repression of women, that's their right - but at the same time, they're doing the exact opposite of what it takes to attract the best and brightest.

13. Maldini thread starter macrumors regular

Maldini

I think we're going way off topic here and i dont want to turn this into a political discussion but i'll send you my reply on private if you dont mind.. i'll be more that happy to do that because i used to live in Germany for 18 years..my mom is German and now i live in Saudi so i lived both worlds.. and living here is not as bad as you think :)

14. slu macrumors 68000

slu

This machine will handle more than light video editing. You could run Final Cut Express on it with no problem with no extra RAM. I should know, I ran it on a iMac G5 Rev A 1.8 Ghz with less than a gig of RAM for two years. And I made several movies over an hour long.