iPad need your advise ipad 2 vs 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by enrodrehern, Sep 19, 2012.

1. enrodrehern macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I would like to ask your opinion, at this point of the year would you guys buy the Ipad 2 or the new Ipad. Reason I am asking is because im in the market for an ipad but found a good refurbished 2 for 319 dollars at the apple refurbished store. I think that is a great price. Or buy the new one for 499 and receive 50 dollars back in apps for being a teacher. Or buy a refurbished new ipad for 449 without the 50 dollars to spend on apps which is the same thing. Arghh decisions...I can afford either one conservatively but the 2 seems like a tempting deal. Thank you for your input before hand.

I know there is a lot of threads concerning this but I would like to know at this point of the year. Thank you

2. nelmat macrumors 6502a

Well, the next model is going to be out around Easter time in 2013. So a while yet. No point buying old tech - the new iPad is an amazing machine and for a relatively small difference in price, there's no reason not to get it - not least because it will get the full iOS 6 experience. Never buy old models unless you simply can't afford the latest model.

3. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

The 2 is a fine machine. But, I warn you, if you get it, just don't ever look at a 3. I complain about my Mac screens now after having been spoiled by the retina on the 3. It's just that good.

4. enrodrehern thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your response. I just like to look for deals lol but yea in other words your telling me that if i can afford it to not buy old tech? I just don't know if its a big improvement worth paying the price.

5. enrodrehern thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Ditto.

The 2 does have longer battery life and shorter charging than the 3.

Also, if you can wait a month, the rumored Mini is expected to be announced next month.

I've never been disappointed with an Apple device so whether its the 2, 3, Mini...you'll be happy. That is a nice price though on the refurb 2. Only $20 more than an iPod Touch :eek:

7. enrodrehern thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really leaning towards the 2 for that price

8. Bokes macrumors 6502

sounds like you're fishing for an excuse to save $$$.

I have the v3- I know someone who has the 2
    The screen on my 3 looks better- but I love the thin and lightweight of the 2- and FWIW- the screen is fine.
    Get the 2.
    Sell it when the 4 is released and get the 4.

9. Steveo13 macrumors regular

Steveo13

Buy the third iPad with the retina display. It really does give you an unbelievable picture.

10. Markdek macrumors member

$100 is half a Nexus 7, or 1/3 an iPad mini. If you read alot (and don't own a kindle), maybe get the 3. If not, 2, plus an extra toy.

And, you'll feel so much better when you get that iPad 4 in a few months.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Keep in mind that the 3 will be supported longer. For instance, this year, iPad 1 isn't being updated to iOS 6. So if Apple keeps to this pattern, then next year, iPad 2 wouldn't be updated to iOS 7, leaving you with a device with outdated software. Whereas if you buy the 3, you are assured of being able to stay updated for an extra year.

12. Rodster macrumors 68040

I purchased a refurbed iPad 2 from the Apple store and it's flawless. I highly recommend refurbed iPads from Apple only.

13. TC03 macrumors 65816

I doubt that since the iPad 2 basically has the same CPU as the iPad 3. Pretty sure it will get iOS 7. However, the iPad 2 will probably loose support earlier than the iPad 3, but I don't think that will be next year already.

14. Markdek macrumors member

You need to work for Apple marketing! :apple:

15. Jenny32 macrumors newbie

If you never had either, I will say iPad 2 is more than acceptable.
    I had ipad 2 for 11 months and was totally in love.

I kept admiring Ipad3, and this past week upgraded to iPad 3.

when you upgrade, that is when you see the difference between the two.

I am so glad I upgraded, and in the end would definitely recommend ipad3.
    Retina is amazing. No fuzziness that you see on ipad2. Well worth it.

16. Boob macrumors member

I just ordered my refurb iPad 2 and should have it next week.

I didn't think the retina display was a big deal, at least if you have a screen protector applied. I have a 4s and it barely looks different than the display on the iPad 2 (again, maybe due to my screen protector). But this vid convinced me that the iPad 2 really is a better buy than the iPad 3.

As you can see the iPad 2 is just as fast, if not sometimes faster than the iPad 3. I can't justify an extra $100 for a slightly clearer screen. The price you can get for a refurb iPad 2 is an excellent deal. I'd say go for the iPad 2.

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

18. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

This post is great for comparing the starting up of apps, and other basic tasks, but says nothing about the feature that sets the iPad 3 apart, the retina display quality. It is good to know that the overall speed is on par.

The fact that :apple: was able to make the 3 as fast or faster while pushing that many more pixels is a feat in itself. So it really comes down to the screen resolution, if you can leverage it then it's gonna crush the iPad 2, if not then there's no point.

I'm stuck because I'd like to use my future iPad for watching "handbrakes" movies and showing off pix from my 5DMKIII. I've watched movies on an iPad 2 and there were good enough so then it comes down to displaying photos....

19. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

iPad 2. If you really really like it you can justify an iPad 4 next April ;-)

20. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Screen shot comparison of iPad 2 and iPad 3

iPad 2:[​IMG]

iPad 3:
    [​IMG]

21. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i bought an iPad 2 16GB wifi refurb for $319

^ that's the way to go.

22. Markdek macrumors member

Excellent job/choice.....now go get a Nexus 7 too.

23. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

If that's what Mario would look like on the iPad 3, i'm not sure I would want one!

24. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

How are you getting $50 in Apps for education pricing?
    It looks like they took that option down?

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93