Need Your Apple Experience?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ray&Paula, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Ray&Paula macrumors regular

Hi, I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a fully loaded iMac 5K for all my video editing. I have always done my video editing on PC's. Currently, I am using Windows 7 with Sony Vegas Pro as my NLE. I'm jumping ship, too many years of being pushed/blackmailed to upgrade to new Windows versions. If you don't upgrade, you're left without support, etc.. I realize that updates are a constant with any OS, software, etc., but purchasing a new OS, software, etc. every few years is getting to be too much........
    Mac..... take me away! :)
    Now that I got that off my chest, I have a few questions due to being oblivious to Apples way of doing things.
    1) I've heard that Apple will always have support for their products? In other words, they won't hang you out to dry like I've been used to. Is this true?
    2) OS???? How often does Apple change their OS?
    3) Software and Updates.... Lets say for example; If I was to purchase FCP X 10 and six months from now a new version comes out FCP X 11 where would that leave me?
    a) Will I still have support for FCP X 10?
    b) Will it cost me to upgrade to FCP X 11?

I'm so glad that I'm now able to move to Mac for all my video editing needs. I just need to know how Apple operates for their (real world)customers meaning you. Please let me know your thoughts and experiences. Thanks in advance, Ray :rolleyes:

2. dyt1983, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Clarifying a bit on what dyt1983 said:
    Apple will give you support for your product for the most part. In terms of software, as long as they haven't abandoned the software entirely, they'll be good to you. And for the most part, at least regarding professional software, they'll keep you going a few years after they abandon it as well. Hardware, 1 year's full coverage is standard, can be upgraded to 3 years with Apple care, most people seem to "get the first for free" when it comes to repairs regardless of anything. Then there are also bad cases of course. I've been fighting for quite a while to get them to recognise my Radeongated 2011MBP. Finally a repair program is coming.

Yes, the OS changes yearly, however upgrades are free.
    App Store apps are updated free of charge as well, and FCPX is an App Store app. That said, FCP 11 might be released as a new app on the Store, in which case they might charge you again. I highly doubt it, but it's possible. Before doing such a thing however, Apple would usually release some final compatibility updates and such, to make sure the software is still worth a damn.

By the time you get your Mac, if you've any questions, do let me know.
    Welcome to the Light Side of The Force. 

Oh, one final thing you should consider! I don't know if you've ordered it yet, but you can upgrade the RAM of the machine yourself, for cheaper than the Apple fee. I suggest getting it with 16 and upgrading to 32 yourself if necessary. That's what I did.
    There was a lot of backlash against FCPX in the beginning, for not being as Pro as 7 and earlier, but 90% of the complaints have been addressed. The iMac works well with FCP and I for one am happy with both products. However, I wish you could get it with a better GPU, but alas. It is what it is, and for the most parts, it's well good enough.

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

People blame the accelerated schedule, but the truth is that the forums were always full of complaints when a new OS was released, all the way back to the PPC days. Now they just have something to blame it on.

5. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies...... Sure sounds a lot better than Microsoft Windows. I'm glad that most of the bugs are out of FCP X. I did like Sony Vegas Pro, but it was quite buggy at times. It's nice to know that Apple takes care of their customers.
    As for the RAM, I did some checking on that along with storage a few days ago and here's what I came up with;
    I took a look a Crucial for 16gb (2x8) of RAM $131.99. This makes 32gb of RAM at $263.98. In addition, I looked at OWC which is $100.00 more, not sure why..... Crucials savings over Apple is $336.02! All this for a couple minutes of installation. I figure that I could sell the 2x4gb ram that came with your iMac.
    Also if you're interested in the PROMISE Pegasus2 R4 8TB (4 by 2TB) Thunderbolt 2 RAID System you can save $45.00 through B&H Photo. Oh, I almost forgot, you get a FREE 256GB Pegasus J2 SSD Thunderbolt Storage Solution that normally sells for $449.00 (Check out the link below)! Thanks again, I appreciate the input. Ray

Apples Configuration:
    http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/im...A&step=config#

Crucial $263.98 32gb ($336.02 savings over Apples $600.00)
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/imac-4...28-_-Skimlinks

OWC $364.99 32gb ($235.01 savings over Apples $600.00)
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../1600DDR3S32S/

B&H Photo $1454.00 ($45.00 savings over Apples $1499.00) PROMISE Pegasus2 R4 8TB (4 by 2TB) Thunderbolt 2 RAID System "PLUS" FREE 256GB Pegasus J2 SSD Thunderbolt Storage Solution
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...b_t_bolt2.html

My dream station for 4k video editing;
    iMac 5K
    Hardware:

4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
    8gb from Apple (Replaced w/ Crucial 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB)
    1TB Flash SSD
    AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5
    Apple Magic Mouse
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    AppleCare 3 years

Storage:
    PROMISE Pegasus2 R4 8TB (4 by 2TB) Thunderbolt 2 RAID System

Software:
    Final Cut Pro X
    Pages, Numbers, Keynote
    iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

With RAM, as long as the specifications are correct, and the DSDT (A thing that tells the motherboard what it is) is proper, there is essentially no difference between brands, unless you go into overclocking territory. OWC is just expensive. Always has been. I'd normally say Crucial is as well, but that's not terrible.
    Enjoy the system, it's brilliant!
    Oh and on the software front, don't know if you've already planned on doing it, but getting Compressor and Motion as well will complete the FCP suite. Compressor is a transcoding tool, so not really necessary, since FCP itself obviously can do a fair bit of that, and there's always handbreak, but it's a good tool. Motion is for creating animations and custom transitions and such. Perhaps you'd want to have a look at that.
    Cheers!

7. Ray&Paula, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Crucial shows the RAM to be compatable with the iMac 5K, but I will double check when I order. The only thing that I didn't see in Crucials specs was the word SDRAM as it does in the Apple configurator. Motion 5 looks to be pretty awesome....... I looked at a couple tutorials which showed a few effects. I will definately put that on my list. I'll take a look at Compressor and Handbreak as well. Thanks for the help and advise. Ray ;)

Apples Configuration:
    http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/im...A&step=config#

Crucial $263.98 32gb ($336.02 savings over Apples $600.00)
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/imac-4...28-_-Skimlinks

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Siiiiigh

These forums are a magnet for complaints and are a poor indication of how widespread any issue may be.

Not saying people are making things up, but just because MacRumors has a few threads on something, doesn't mean the issue only affects a small handful of users.

9. casperes1996, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Don't worry about the SDRAM thing. All memory (not entirely true, but I don't think I should get extremely technical) is SDRAM.
    If you're replacing all the sticks, you could actually get something better than what Apple offers in terms of speed. Stay with 1600Mhz, but you could see if you can get lower latency memory for cheap. Don't mix latencies however. A good measure of performance in memory, is frequency divided by latency. 1600/11=145.45
    1600/9=177.77
    Find the latter and suddenly you've faster memory than the 1866Mhz in the Mac Pro. That is for file sizes under a certain limit.

Getting lower latency memory might be quite expensive however, and won't net you a very big perf benefit at all.

10. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

You could consider getting only 16 gb of new RAM, and keeping the 8 that the iMac comes with. Then you'd have 24, which might be enough. If it isn't, you can grab more later.

I have 24 and only once have I seen swapping.

11. Ray&Paula, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015

Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

You all have made some great points to consider......
    IMO in regards to reading what is said on any forum, someone always has something to complain about "no matter what it is." I'm guilty of it in my original post about my PC experience. Gaining other users opinions and reviews is an important asset to the majority of us. Basically, it all comes down to one's opinions and/or experiance. It's important to keep an open mind and read between the lines. On the flip side, this forum has been a wealth of information from real world users in which I sincerely appreciate. In this post alone, I've gained some great insight of Apple from your replies.
    Now I'm going to get gready (LOL :rolleyes:) I do have another question; Is there a normal time frame that Apple releases their new products? For example; iMac, Mac Pro, etc.. Thanks again, and please keep chiming in.......Ray ;)

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Buyers guide at the top of the page...

I'll link it here too....

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

13. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular