Need Your Design Layout Review!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by smogsy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

I've created a website design for my my new company Appgecko i would like your review of what you think of it there is a few questions below to help you and me get your views on the website design/layout

- it is easy to use?
    - does it attract your attention?
    - does it get to the point?
    - can you find what you are looking for with out searching or using google?
    - how can it be improved?
    - is the site fast and efficient to your satisfaction?
    website can be found here -- www.appgecko.com or .co.uk

there are a some minor bugs that need to be fixed in certain browsers.

Thanks
    Smogsy :apple:

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Not bad overall. Like the colors.

- The secondary navigation is too obscure. Some users will completely miss it.
    - Your padding is inconsistent sometimes from page to page...and there should be more of it. Don't fear white space. Embrace it.
    - You might consider making the whole thing wider...no one has 800x600 screens any more, looks like your content area is only 640px or so.
    - The positioning of the site's name in the header feels weird. It's not centered, nor is it left or right-aligned. It's just kind of floating randomly.

EDIT: And your copy needs a LOT of proofreading.

3. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

I like the colors, I like the gecko. The secondary navigation might be overlooked, but the design of the main navigation looks good. The only part im not too sure on is everything under the navigation, Its just black text. the only contrast is bold text here and there. If you made the whole site as strong as the top portion it would be great. It also wouldn't hurt to have it alot wider.

4. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you for your comment will be looking into these asap. hopefully tomorrow. there are still a few bugs to fix aswell so hopefully should have a great design.

PS. yeh i do need to proof read to many late night workings. :D

5. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Looks good to me. I like the gecko also. I have one and it sticks out its tongue just like that to lick / clean its eyes. Like someone else said, punctuation needs checking. There are a lot of place where you need a space after a period or comma and some capitalization problems, but that might just all be filler for the design. I'm not sure if I like the reddish-orange in the gradient below the submenu. It might just be me. You might try using the same gradient you used in the gecko (from light orange/yellow to the darker brown/orange or the brown in the eyes). I also agree on the "App Gecko" title, it looks like you centered on the whole gecko image. Try centering just on the two front feet (which looks like it is almost centered on the page).

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Just a quick comment for the moment. I don't quite agree on the comments about it needing to be wider. You only have text there and if you make that wider people have to scan farther which takes more effort. Studies have been shown that a somewhat narrow width is best for reading. It's generally around 30-42em (approximately 420-660px depending on font family and size). Here's an article on it I found real quick.

Just because we have wider browsers these days, doesn't mean we need to fill every inch (and I realize people here weren't saying to do that). The current width seems fine to me, though I'd take the text size up just a notch and maybe increase line height.

7. Kathy223 macrumors newbie

I agree. I like to stick with around 400-600 px width for the content as well, not just for clients when i'm designing, but also when i'm reading other sites. It's just easier to process that short line than to read 700px width of text each line.

8. Shownarou macrumors regular

Really long line length is confusing anyway. If you're going to make the page wider, you'll have to break it up into multiple columns or something. Don't make your line length any longer than it is. *hard on readability*

9. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much for your comments and i have fixed a large majority of spelling errors if not all. there is no intention to extend the line length as this time as it will dwarf my development of the application i will be creating. AppGecko V2 may realized with a wider line length but that is under debate at this time. we will wait till we have more users opinion as we grow (hopefully) into a great open source developer.

Thank you very much for the other comments keep them coming any comments are very much appreciated & read fully to help us create the best possible site.

2 people have suggest a site search from my msn list would you feel this in necessary to explore the site fully?

10. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Narrow width is fine when there is not a great amount of content or the text is paginated. But when a site has different wells (columns) with numerous smaller content areas (i.e. buckets) then wider overall (entire site, not text columns) is far better so the site doesn't look like it was designed for a PDA, heh. Wider does not mean liquid layout or full horizontal width, but 600px aint gonna cut it for sites with numerous wells. This specific site being reviewed is limited in terms of content and wells so it works great the way it is. I'm just adding my .02 on the side discussion going on about when maybe to widen a bit.

-jim