Need your feedback for online video archiving service

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BJHellet, Sep 6, 2012.

1. BJHellet macrumors newbie

Hi,

I need a way to archive my large raw video files for a reasonable price. I am building a cloud-based video archiving service to handle this as I couldn’t find one that did this for a barebones price.

It will only cost $29 to backup 100 GB of video to the cloud. I will be using Amazon’s secure cloud platform.

The service will allow you to upload files via your browser and download them when needed.

Would you use this service? What features would you want? Would you be willing to pay $29 for a service like this?

Thanks,
    BJ

2. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Have you looked into this new service: http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/pricing/

For archival purposes that you don't think you'll need to retrieve again, this my be a cheap alternative.

Storage Price: $0.01 per GB / month
    Download Rate: $0.12 per GB up to 10 TB

So as long as you don't need to access it ever, it's a cheap alternative ($1 for 100GB/month). Depending on the size of your video files, you could then just pass on the retrieval fee to your client (100GB downloaded would be $12). Keep in mind, unless you have an extremely fast internet without bandwidth limits, you may find it frustrating. The initial upload could take weeks, if you need to have access to the files quickly, it's only as quick as your internet connection.

If you're constantly working with large amounts of data, a NAS may be a more viable and useful choice.

3. jpine macrumors 6502

Instead of Google, is there any reason to not go with an ISP that allows unlimited bandwidth and storage?

4. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Because there isn't one that I'm aware of unless you know of an ISP provider that offers it. Who would offer unlimited storage with the internet service? Even comcast has a 250GB bandwidth limit per month I believe, unless you step up to the business accounts which are a lot more money.