Need your feelings seagate momentus xt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tx26257, Jul 10, 2011.

1. tx26257, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

tx26257 macrumors member

Ok I have a 13 inch 2011 MacBook pro and thinking of getting this hard drive to replace the one that came with it. There been some trouble but it appears that the issue been fixed. If not another good hard drive between 500gb to 780 would due. I tried search but the info I found was dated.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Had it, faster than the stock 250GB Hitachi but vibrated, runs hotter, noisier and more power hungry. Switched to an OCZ Vertex.

3. tx26257 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks blue room but for my current storing needs a full ssd drive is to pricey. Some of the issues you mentioned I thought have been fixed but I might be mistaken

4. yauzers619 macrumors member

Skip the Hybrid. The SSD and Optibay with a standard 2.5" HD.

5. Fishman Dan macrumors newbie

Note that I had this vibration issue too - using a MBP 15" (late 2008) I went from ZERO vibration with the stock HD, to a horrible droning vibration across the entire surface of the MBP. It was unusable, and I was fortunate enough to return it to the store for a full refund.

I have heard stories that this is not how they should perform, but there are plenty of others who report vibration.

I'm in the same boat as the OP - want a faster Mac (because I can) and more storage - currently disk is 320 gb so the little step to 500 gb would be ideal. Cost-wise the Momentus XT is great value, but unless I can find a dealer who will allow me to install/test or provide a full refund, it's not worth the risk.

6. dsio macrumors regular

I can report having 4 in use in different machines, and all are excellent. No vibration or issues. That said, I'm upgrading to a 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 just because it will be that much faster, and because I can.

7. timish macrumors regular

No issues here at all.

Bought a Momentus XT (FW SD25) and had it in my 2008 17 MBP.

Bought the new 17 Feb 2011 MBP and moved the drive over to that unit. No problems.

So good I bought one for my wife's MacBook and again, no issues at all and that one has firmware SD26.

8. Philflow macrumors 65816

In tried the XT with SD24 firmware last year in my HP DM3. Excellent performance but vibration.

I got the XT now with firmware SD25 in my MBP 2011. Excellent performance, zero vibration or noise.

Boots my MBP in ~16 seconds:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilB79hv6bfg

The XT offers the best price performance ratio of any drive in my opinion. I sold my Vertex 3 240GB for it.

9. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Don't buy the XT. Better save some cash and go full SSD on your MBP. It is worth it. You can get cheaper SSDs off ebay...

10. Kyffin macrumors 6502

I've been with the XT for a while now (taken it through two firmware updates) and I've still mixed feelings about this drive- so can well understand your apprehension.

In terms of vibration and sound I can honestly say this isn't an issue (for me anyway- zero vibration and the sound isn't a problem- although it is noticeable as the drive never spins down with firmware SD25). Of course, this does make it snappier and working with files that need fast reading/writing (like photos in Aperture) is amazingly better. There is also a significant difference with boot times and launching large programs (my 200gb+ iTunes library is 'bop bop pop' there) which is also nice but not as critical.

The reason for my reservations is that the battery has taken a significant hit- depending on what I'm doing I can expect 4-6 hours out of it which has really had an impact on how I use my (2010 13") mbp. Also, there does seem to be a quite a difference in how this drive works for people- its not consistent and perhaps that should be kept in mind, although so too my feelings on it: I've been absolutely LOVING it recently, although can't say that was the case when I wasn't using its full potential before!)

From what I read on the web (and Seagate's forums are a good source of developments- and whining complaint!) there is a firmware update on the way- although the new drives ship with SD26 which I can't comment on as it isn't available to download, my understanding is that Seagate have stopped releasing frequent updates and are working on a proper 'fix' that should sort this drive out once and for all.

So, tl/dr: I like this drive; although its not perfect it has really made doing the stuff that I do a LOT better, and for the price I don't complain that it can't do it for 8+ hours away from the plug. If you do data intensive stuff and aren't away from the mains the whole day it could be perfect for you. Hope this helps you some!

11. timish macrumors regular

Can you post a link where I can get a 500GB SSD for under $100, which is the current average price for the Momentus XT? :rolleyes:

12. solowmodel macrumors 6502

Just installed one today, don't have vibration issues. Does run slightly warmer and noisier, but my MBP (2008 15") feels much snappier with it in compared to stock.