Need your help! 13 vs 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThisIsPhil, Oct 28, 2016.

?

13' or 15'

1. 13'

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. 15'

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. ThisIsPhil macrumors newbie

ThisIsPhil

I currently own a early 2015 macbook with 1.3 ghz and 8gb of ram.
    It gets the job done... although the experience isnt that smooth when changing spaces (which bothers me...)
    The things I do on my laptop are rather basic: iTunes, browsing the web, pages and keynote...
    I want these tasks to run as smooth as possible...

Since I am a student I value the portability of the 13' model over the extra screen real estate of the 15'...
    So I went ahead and ordered the 13' with i7 and 16gb of ram... with student discount I ended up paying 2'400 bugs (Switzerland). The thing is the entry level 15' is just 100 bugs more and I feel incredibly stupid paying so much money for a 13' dual core notebook... should I cancel my order?

Looking at benchmarks, the dual core i7 seems only 20-30% faster then my core m (really?)... and the quad core from the 15' seems to play in a different league... will this be noticable in basic tasks?

Any suggestions?

2. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

If you were going to get just base models, I would say 13" for your usage case. However, if you plan on getting the upgraded 13" for 100 less than the base 15", I would go for the 15". It is MUCH more powerful, and should last longer as well. The only issue may be smaller storage...

3. ag29 macrumors 6502

Why did you order an i7 with 16gb ram if all you do is basic tasks? That's going to be a complete waste of money tbh.

Sounds like you need the base model 13 inch. A 13 inch with an i7 and 16GB ram will make absolutely zero difference for basic tasks such as Itunes, browsing the web, pages and keynote. They will run completely smooth on the base 13 inch.

As for the 15 inch, it would be unnecessary since the extra power is unneeded and you favor the portability of the 13 inch.

Save yourself $1,000.

4. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Here's what I would say based on how I made my decision.

I used to have a 17" MacBook Pro.

I downsized to 15" in 2014 because the 17" was too big.

I then downsized, the following year, to a 13" MacBook Pro. It was the perfect fit for traveling. I didn't have all that weight in my luggage.

Then I bought the 13" MacBook last year to compliment the 13" MBP. Soon, the MacBook became my traveling computer.

So I no longer need a traveling computer. I need a desktop replacement. I spend more time in my easy chair watching television while I do all my forum work. I need a powerhouse laptop that I can do everything on.

So, back to the 15" size for the 2016 revamp simply for the specs.

I sold my 13" MBP and I still have my 13" MacBook for just traveling.

This is my advice....

Need something for home and travel? 13" is the perfect size.

Need something that's a powerhouse desktop replacement? Then you need to go 15", I think.

BTW, I just have to say, the 2016 MacBook (not the Pro) with its measly specs and 8GB of RAM is an amazing laptop. I can't believe how much abuse I put this baby through and it's still very fast. Anybody looking for the ultimate travel laptop that won't cost you an arm and leg should consider the MacBook.

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Pretty sure my girlfriend would be plenty satisfied even with 8 inches.

Get 13.