Need your help: Which iPad browsers do you like & what features do you want to see?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ksmith80209, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I've got a client that is looking to create a really compelling iPad browser. The idea is that they have certain functionality that they'll build in, but want to create a browser app that people go because it's a really great browsing experience — not just for the special content that they've built.

So my questions:
    1. What browser do you use and prefer (beyond mobile safari)?
    2. What features do you really love on that browser?
    3. What features would you really love to have on an iPad browser?

Anything you can provide would really help - right now it's just me trying to think of good ideas. I'm pretty sure that are a few better ones on this forum!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

2. Catpie macrumors newbie

I love the iCab mobile browser, and I've tried several. It handles tabs like I want it to: open offsite links in a new tab behind the current one. And it has a pretty good adblocking system. It seems to make good use of available memory. And it's loaded with options and settings. It's hard for me to imagine using a different browser on my iPad.

3. ksmith80209 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great - thanks for your help!

4. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

iCab for me as well. All the features mentioned above plus good use of the multi-touch gestures.

5. akm3 macrumors 68020

Atomic Web Browser is fine for me. Never tried iCab.

6. ksmith80209 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all. Any opinions out there on Terra, iLunascape, LastPass, Perfect Browser, etc.?

7. kreach macrumors member

8. ksmith80209 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is it about Terra that you like so much?

9. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I wanted to add one more reason why iCab is the best mobile browser out there. They offer "modules", which are similar to Firefox extensions. They add enormous functionality to the browser experience. For instance, being able to add a web page or selected text to Evernote,Twitter, Instapaper, viewing a webpage according to preset "Readability" options are just a few of these modules that can be downloaded, depending on one's needs. I think it's these modules that sets this Browser apart.

10. ksmith80209 thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

iCab also. I like to download free ebooks off Manybooks and Feedbooks sites right into my ibooks shelf. I also like to be able to download any picture I happen to come across while surfing. It should do video also but I have not been able to get that to work but I also have not spent much time trying. :)

12. akm3 macrumors 68020

13. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

For me Atomic Web Browser (not the Lite one, which doesn't even supports multitasking). It has multitasking, easy tabs, it's fast, background audio and video (so also when you open another app) and when too many tabs are open which use a lot of memory a yellow bar, which is not disturbing at all, will show up at the bottom.

14. akdj, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Count me in as another happy iCab user...until I made the switch, I was using Atomic full time...as mentioned though, the customizability of iCab easily puts it a step above all others...I use the SkyFire app if there is a need for flash, albeit... this is a very rare need. Atomic and iCab easily scale text size which my eyes an I appreciate very much...I've set two finger tap to scale up...and three finger to reset...as mentioned, iCab does a helluva job with gesture control, background D/L...and personal settings are very extensive...allowing you to set it up to tailor fit your own browsing experience. I also have cyberspace, browser, and Mercury...none match Atomic or iCab. Just wish there was a way to set it up as my default browser instead of Safari (my least favorite of the iOS browsers...yet easily my favorite desktop broser, Safari is;)). Anyone aware if this can be done (without J/B)?

All said, on my iPhone I prefer Opera mini, second again...iCab followed a distant third now by Atomic

Jer

15. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

You guys are convincing me I need to try icab. I use atomic but have no particular loyalty if there's something better.

As for setting the default, I do believe that sooner or later apple will give on that...

16. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

In my iPad browser travels I have enjoyed using (not in particular order): 1) Atomic 2) iCab, and 3) Perfect. Right now Perfect is my daily driver because I like its implementation of the transparent quick scroll control on the right hand side of the screen.