Need your help with my MBP battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hdsalinas, Dec 5, 2007.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Hi,

My mac will be 1 year old by the end of december. Recently i have been having problems with my battery life. With Wifi and bluetooth on and the screen at full brightness I used to only get about 30 minutes from a full charge.

I contacted my local Apple Reseller and they agreed to take a look at my mac which is still under warranty. They reseted the SMC and run a hardware diagnostic tool from my Tiger installation disk. He said that the test did not find anything wrong with my mac but that my battery power % was going down a bit faster than usual. It took about 45 minutes for it to run out of juice. He told me to run a coule more test and bring it back if the problem was recurring.

After that visit my mac randomly shuts down when the battery gets down to 42 to 48%. It doesnt happen when the MBP is plugged, only when running from the batteries.

I got this from my system profiler:

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 2448
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 1028
    Amperage (mA): 921
    Voltage (mV): 12372
    Cycle Count: 150

Does this mean that the battery is dying?

I really need your help as my warranty is running out and I want to get a replacement if indeed my battery is going bad.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yeah, with a full charge capacity of 2448 mAh, it's lost over half of its capacity. (Full capacity should be around 5500 mAh.)

At only 150 cycles and under a year of use, that sounds like defective battery. Apple should replace it free of charge.

3. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

With my daughter's Macbook, the Apple Store said that approximately 1 year or 300 cycles is the approximate end of warranty on the battery. The store has the flexibility to allow warranty replacement over that, it is just a fuzzy guideline.

Get yours in now, it is definitely under the guideline and defective.

For what it's worth, our Apple Store gave us a full replacement battery under warranty when my daughter's battery failed to hold a charge, and it was 16 months old and 330 cycles. I have had very good experiences with our local Apple Store.

4. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Thanks for your replies,

I dont live in the US and there is no apple store in my country. But I was able to contact an authorized apple dealer and they say that they will honor my mac's warranty.

The thing is that I feel that I have to convince them that I have a problem as they dont seem to be "sure" that the battery is defective.

I am writing them an email stating my concerns and I hope I will get them to replace it,

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Things can be tricky when you're dealing with someone other than Apple. (Of course, they can be tricky even with Apple.) It's obvious to those of us who have seen this on a regular basis that your battery is defective. There is no way its capacity should have dropped by more than half so quickly. Completely unacceptable.

If you can't convince the first person you speak to, escalate it to their manager. Keep going until you get satisfaction...you deserve it.