Need your help with SIM Transplant Surgery

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NeutiquamErro, Jun 10, 2011.

1. NeutiquamErro macrumors newbie

Hey all. Long story short, I have an inactivated iPhone 3G (v4.2.1). My current phone is a POS freebie from AT&T. I'd like to transplant the SIM from the freebie into my iPhone, thereby gaining the ability to make calls from my iPhone without needing to purchase an overpriced data plan.

I have experience jailbreaking and understand that this will be more complicated than just putting the SIM into my iPhone. I'm guessing I'll need to activate the iPhone manually somehow, but I'd like a bit of guidance before attempting the transplant.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

I bought an iPhone on eBay, and it was inactivated, so I bought an AT&T sim card, also on eBay. I plugged my iPhone with the AT&T sim in it into iTunes, and it activated without any setup or forced data plans. I don't know if it will work for you, but if it doesn't, maybe the sim needs to be inactive, like the one I bought.
    (also, I think AT&T sends annoying texts to iPhone users without data plans, but I don't know, since I have T-Mobile. That's just what I've heard from AT&T iPhone users who don't have data plans)
    Try activating with the sim card that you have, and if it doesn't work, try buying a sim like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-ATT-3G-Sim-Card-64K-UNACTIVATED-SKU-73043-/260799034851?pt=SIM_Cards&hash=item3cb8d575e3#ht_4336wt_1141