iPad Need your opinion - New iPad 2017

Discussion in 'iPad' started by akash.nu, Jul 1, 2017.

1. akash.nu macrumors 68020

akash.nu

I'm seeing loads of people here own the iPad Pros. Is there any iPad 2017 owner? I'm looking to buy one and would like to hear about your opinion.

Also please mention if you're fully invested in Apple ecosystem and if you've owned any other iPads before and what has changed in the new model.

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It's a good budget iPad. Performance will be really good and last a long time, but the iPad Pro will have a much better screen, better speakers, Pencil support, better cameras, and last a little longer.

3. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

I think the Pro will last a wee bit more then "a little longer" ;) but iPad still great device especially at that price.

4. mosesming macrumors newbie

mosesming

I move from iPad 2 (16GB) to iPad Air 1 (32GB), then to iPad Pro 9.7 (128GB) and currently iPad Pro 10.5 (256GB). When I upgrade, I usually pass the old one to my parents. Recently my dad have my old Pro 9.7, and I bought my mom a 2017 budget iPad 128GB as the Air 1 with 32GB is not enough for her, and I can see the coming iOS11 will not run smoothly on the old machine.

I could say the 2017 iPad is absolutely great for its price, fast enough for most tasks, nice display (even not laminated, it is still a beautiful one), get the 128GB version you can store many stuff as you want. invest a little on iCloud so that you can get your photos synced on all apple device is a big plus.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I gave my dad the 2017 iPad 9.7 to replace his aging iPad 3 (got $100 Best Buy trade-in). Works great. It's like an iPad Air but much faster and with longer battery life. Feels just as fast as the Pro 9.7 on iOS 10 for general tasks. And yeah, we're an iOS household.

Doubtful. I reckon 1-2 years longer support.

6. Mackinjosh macrumors 6502a

My wife has one, and I have the new 10.5 Pro. I disagree completely about the speakers. Yes, it has more speakers, but they're not better. On the 2017, every tick of the volume bar brings appreciably more and more volume. On the Pro, the bottom half of the bar is incredibly disappointing in its variance. The other huge advantage of the 2017 is battery life. Doing what I normally do on the 2017 ticks off about 5 percentage of the battery. On the Pro, the same load takes around 12 percentage. The screen is much better on the Pro, but it comes at a little bit of a cost - fingerprints and dust. It attracts them and holds them in a way the 2017 never does. A simple swipe with a cloth cleans the 2017 back to brand new yet I can never seem to clean the Pro completely.

I can highly recommend both of these devices, but if you're just getting something for web browsing, some gaming, and video watching, and you do that mostly indoors, I recommend the 2017 over the Pro. The Pro is simply not 300 dollars better. If you need a workhorse that is going to last probably as many years as the Air 2 has, get the Pro. It's processor and extra memory are beasts compared to the 2017, although with the current version of iOS, the 2017 does everything my Pro does at the same speed. I assume that will change with 11.

7. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Ehh I would say 2-3 but regardless you have a point, iOS devices with 2gb of ram are all performing excellent in iOS 11 betas so really it could become that the "pro" models simply are alittle quicker and have the enhanced multitasking ability. I reckon both the iPad and iPad Pro are getting 5 years support at least. They both are recent enough obviously Apple has no intention to make 2gb ram devices obsolete any time soon. If this is the case man people with the iPad Air 2 are in for a long support cycle (my guess is that'll be the first iOS device to get 6 years of updates. Very curious to see what happens over these next years as iOS 11 seems to mark a big shift in Apple's entire strategy for iPads
    --- Post Merged, Jul 1, 2017 ---
    You made great points the bottom half of the iPad Pro's volume i have also noticed that, and the screen as well I clean it then cry upon seeing a bunch of marks i think are scratches, in fact its dust and strands of fiber from my microfiber cloth.

8. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68020

akash.nu

9. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

10. mbrink12 macrumors member

mbrink12

I actually hadn't had an iPad in years, probably 3-4 years which was the 4th gen iPad, and I went out and got the iPad 2017 model 128 GB model. It's a good iPad for the stuff that I tend to use on it. I am a grad student and eventually going to be in the medical field so an iPad Pro interests me for more than just the normal stuff I use my iPad for, surfing, reading, youtube, etc.

If you don't want the price of the iPad Pro, then this is the iPad to get, imo.

11. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68020

akash.nu

12. badmojo69 macrumors member

I went from the OG ipad 3 to the 12.9!

13. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

You finally got a iPad you deserved, you poor thing the iPad 3 must've been so traumatic to have a device so slow. ;):D:eek:

14. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68020

akash.nu

It might seem so but in my experience the iPad 4 on latest version of iOS is more than usable for day to day tasks. I've only experienced occasional hiccups & lags.

15. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I recall your previous thread. I definitely think you are still on the right track with the 2017 iPad. I think it primarily just comes down to your uses. Overall, it will see decent iOS longevity support and the biggest positive I have read so far, is the A9 processor seems to be more than enough power and the battery life has been very good, which I believe it actually has a slightly larger battery Installed over the Air 2.

16. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68020

akash.nu

Cheers. You've been most helpful. It's interesting to see so many pro users but hardly any iPad 2017 user. So far it does seem like I'm going to get it once Apple figures out why my Apple Pay transaction didn't work.

17. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yeah. A6 and newer fared better with firmware updates age-wise compared to devices on A5 and older. I think we've been getting pretty good longevity (in both software support and performance) for a while now.

I think we get pretty used to and pretty spoiled by how much faster the newer devices are that older devices are quickly viewed as laggy even when they're not significantly slower than when we first got them. Particularly so if one updates iPhones regularly.

Goodness knows coworkers often bring me HDD-based Windows computers to troubleshoot. The iPad Air is definitely faster and more responsive than those.

18. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Being if you purchase it from Apple, you will have 14 days determine if you like it or not. But I think for the price point and what you're receiving, it's still a very good device. I really like the iPad Pro's, but even at that price point for $329, it really is tempting and affordable. Let us know how you like it once you get it.

19. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

The iPad 4 yah that's aged like a fine wine meanwhile the iPad 3 went sour back on iOS 8

20. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68020

akash.nu

Really?! I never had the 3, so not really sure but the only difference being A6 & A6X I didn't think it will be that much worse.

21. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

A5X vs A6X, the iPad 3 was underpowered for the Retina display it was driving. Day 1 it performed 1-5% worse then iPad 2 due to the high res display it struggled run, let alone 3D games and iOS on top of that

22. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

A5
    iPhone 4S
    iPad 2
    iPad mini

A5X (basically same CPU and 2x faster GPU than A5 to support 4x the pixels)
    iPad 3

A6
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5c

A6X
    iPad 4

23. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68020

akash.nu

Ah of course, don't know why I always thought it had the A6. Cheers. That makes sense.

24. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

The next device to age like the iPad 2 did and even possibly surpass it would be the iPad Air 2.

25. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68020

akash.nu

Completely agree. The 2GB RAM will see it being supported for a long time.