Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Hello folks,
Have any of you guys used or seen this case first hand. I understand about the issues about aluminum cases hindering radio frequency, since they're not so transparent to them. However, this case has cut outs all around the sides, leaving the metal band of the phone expose, therefore, I would assume it should not interfere much or any with the radio frequency. But that's just an assumption.
Lett me know what you think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380389194735?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

imalazeeass

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
That looks intense... but I think it will still have problems with reception. There needs to be a break in the aluminum like how it is on the vapor pro to reduce this problem.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
It's only fifteen bucks and some change shipped. Not so bad I'd say. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one to try out.
But what make you think it would have problems with reception? Considering it is anodized which would make it non conductive, and the side is expose for the antenna, I don't see how it would interfere with reception. If the concern is about the the case touching the metal frame of the phone then I think I can mask a layer of scotch tape around the inner walls of the case where it would potentially touch the phone's antenna to further isolate the conductivity.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I was intended to get it for the 4s. Did they have any reception problem you can tell me about?

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
ok folks, i just got the case in today. this case is really impressive to see in person! it look and feel solid. its like a tank. it is not as clunky as it appear in the picture and somewhat keep that slender look to the iPhone. with the phone in it does feel noticeably heavier, but hey you don't get robustness and that solid protection for nothing. the interior of the case has some sort of rubber or silicone cushion that has a somewhat tacky surface, though not like sticky tape kind of tacky. both half of the case have them, four on faceplate and six on the back plate. the phone has no problem fitting into the case, in fact it fit a bit loosely in the case, with about half a millimeter on all sides. the phone floats in between the faceplate and backplate rubber/silicone cushion, and has no physical contact with the case. when all the screws are fully tighten, the phone does not move in the case at all. the case with the phone inside feel very solid when holding in the hand. most edges are chamfered so it doesn't have that sharp feeling, but some edges are not chamfered but still does not feel sharp. perhaps the anodize take away the sharpness.

ok, for the bad part. i got signal bar issue. it does drop my bar down to three and occasionally four for a brief moment, then go back to three. the clear case i was using i get a solid five bars all the time and just occasionally get four bars for a brief moment the go right back to five. the pictures below can speak for themselves.

i going to try some experiment to see if i can resolve the signal issue. otherwise it will go back to the seller.

enjoy the pictures guys

iphone_case_01.jpg

iphone_case_02.jpg

iphone_case_03.jpg

iphone_case_04.jpg

iphone_case_05.jpg

iphone_case_06.jpg

iphone_case_07.jpg

iphone_case_08.jpg

iphone_case_09.jpg

iphone_case_10.jpg

iphone_case_11.jpg

iphone_case_12.jpg

iphone_case_13.jpg

iphone_case_14.jpg

iphone_case_15.jpg

iphone_case_16.jpg

iphone_case_17.jpg

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
yeah, really too bad. because its going back for a refund.
while the phone is out of the case, i tried a continuity test with the multimeter on each metal surface of the phone's antenna to check if the surface of the phone's antenna is conductive and i get a clean close circuit on each surface, and then i test again with the phone installed in the case, while understanding the anodized surface of the case shield away any conductivity, i use the screws surface as a probe point and i did not get any close circuit from any of the the phone's antenna metal surface to the screws. it is clear at this point that the case and the phone cannot have a conductive contact.
i even go further by tried to applied electrical tape lining to the interior of the case to further isolate the case from the phone and yet the condition is the same, signal bar drop!
i've also i tried to use aluminum foil to cover around the perimeter of the phone while being encased in the clear plastic case to verify if it is just the design of the phone doesn't like to be shielded by aluminum, and the the signal bar did not drop while being covered in aluminum foil. therefore i concluded the aluminum case faulty design could be influencing the signal drop.

perhaps i might reconsider this case again in the future if anyone can find a solution to the signal bar drop. because it is truly a gorgeous case. it built and felt like a tank and very sexy looking. what a shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.