Need your opinion... quick...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by notsosmartguy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. notsosmartguy macrumors newbie

Hi, I saw this post on craigslist selling a retina macbookpro for $1320. (!!!) My immediate reaction was that it must be a fake. It's just impossible... too good to be true. But then thought what if it's true? So I just wrote to him and waiting for an answer. My question is what you guys think happening there, legally and illegally, or any possible scenario. If I get to check it out, what I should take notice of? I know it's kinda an obvious fishy thing going on, but just too tempting to ignore. I also uploaded a pic so if you guys can see anything strange.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Well, you should probably ask for the serial number, and if you do meet the guy make sure it matches the number on the box. But I agree, it does smell fishy. I'd expect them to be at least be $1800...

That's how they get ya... typical scammer tool. It might be legit, but only a slim chance it is.

3. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

veryyyyy fishy

----------

agreed anything under $1800 is probably not real. if it is, it would be the steal of the century. might have been for $2400?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If it's too good to be true, it isn't real. Chances are you'll either get scammed, robbed, or both. Don't even be tempted by it.

jW

5. BigMoo macrumors member

I don't think I would take the chance. Usually if it looks super good, its fake or stolen.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

At the risk of sounding cliche - if sometimes looks or sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

7. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

this..and this is my creed when it comes to women and buying things on the internet

8. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

I never buy stuff off Craigslist too dangerous

9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Haha, especially women. ;)

10. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

1) Don't give them any information about you. Create a "junk" email account and use that for all craigslist transactions. Also get a google-talk phone number to use.
    2) Always meet in a public place. Coffee shops are good. So are some book stores.
    3) Ask him/her why the item is for sale.

Is it a scam? Probably.

Unfortunately, there's no good way to find out if the Mac is stolen. A few websites keep a list of stolen S/N, but the data is user generated.

Good luck.

11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Ask for more picture and the serial.
    Its stolen, broken somewhere, or you're going to get robbed with the cash

12. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Ask to meet in front of the local police station or court house during the day. If it is real, they will agree, otherwise run away.

Another tip is to create an e-mail or user ID like Pro-NRA@email.com and see how many bites you get... ;)

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Not sure about walking into a courthouse with over $1K in cash. That place is full of lawyers, it would be like jumping into a shark tank with an open wound.

14. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Kill such thoughts right away. The chance that something like this is true is lower than the chance of beeing struck by lightning.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. Nothing special about this. Take the usual Craigslist precautions.

The people who make late night informercials love people like the OP.