Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
So I currently have the Early 2008, MacBook Pro 2.4 Model. I've upgraded all that I can on this system (SSD, 6GB Ram) but I find all this power to be completely "useless" really. I hardly play any games anymore, and the games I do play, I set everything at "Low" with native resolution whenever possible even though my Graphics Card has the capacity to run at something higher.

Just lately, work has given me more and more work to do, but because of my distaste of using our company workstation (thats 3 years old, slower then anything you can imagine... i just use it for work e-mails now and even THAT is slow.. imagine 3 minutes to open Lotus Notes and 1 minute to press send and HOPE its sent..) I've been bringing in my MacBook Pro to do the tasks and projects. I take public transportation to work, its a 40 minute trip one-way, and I carry books for school along with the laptop to work in a backpack that weighs close to 20 lbs everyday.

I was thinking, of selling this, as is, with all the upgrades, and switch to something smaller/lighter (Thinking MacBook but the MacBook Air wouldn't be too far out of reach either especially with similar specs to the MacBook) to ease my back a bit every single day.

While this may seem simple, switch to something smaller, my needs still kinda remain. The 6GB ram is a luxury but its not entirely required. I can survive with 2GB if I needed to, but i figure it would be painful running 2 Virtual Machines (Currently, I have Ubuntu Server w/ 1GB ram and XP Boot Camp w/ 3GB ram, I can reduce this down to 256MB for Server and 512MB for XP Boot Camp if needed). The SSD... well, if I were to pick the Air, I'd like it pre-installed to save the hassle of finding a 1.8" SATA model and probably be out of my budget. The MacBook would have no problems in this area. The graphics card, however, I don't know if it would be suited for me. I have come from where I never had a "powerful" graphics card (lol... really, my most powerful might be this 8600GT.. some gfx cards I've had in my system so far are, ATi Mobility 9600GT, ATi Mobility X300, GeForce 5600XT, and the current) so I figure a 9400M wouldn't be too much of a performance hit/disappointment.

I've narrowed, so far, my choices to be these:

2.4GHz MacBook (I want the Backlit, sorry, no compromise here)
1.86GHz MacBook Air w/ SSD
Keep current

Was wondering which of the three, I'd be most suited for

calsci

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
hope you don't miss firewire to much. i would go with the macbook. new awesome case design, changeable battery,extra usb port,optical disc drive,ethernet,and a lock slot. if you don't necessarily need those features go macbook air.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Oh ya, I haven't used any of my firewire ports what-so-ever since I don't have any firewire peripherals, nor do I plan on getting any, anytime soon. I use USB, and for me, USB speed is pretty good for what its worth.

I know I need ethernet at work... whether or not the Air's single USB port would put a major impact on that is.. i don't know.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I had the Original MacBook Air and LOVED IT! Super portable and really nice at the time. But, it is now like a dinosaur with the invention of the MBA 2.0.

This new Air is AMAZING. It does virtually everything as well as the MacBook. It now has the 45 NM chip and Nvidia Graphics so has rid itself of the overheating problem that the original was/is plagued with.

I worked on a new Air for about three hours one day and was amazed at everything. The display is nicer than my MacBooks, it is SO LIGHT, and is really built solid.

So, if I had the money I would go with the Air... And, I intend to go with the Air as early as January.

I am sorta contemplating the following:
The MBP 17" got some minor revisions but not the new unibody nor glass trackpad or screen. So, could it be possible that the MBA gets another update in January with the MBP 17"??? I sure hope so...
Envision this...
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (45nm)
4 GB Memory
256 GB SSD
Glass Display
Glass Trackpad

Ok, maybe not in January at MacWorld but it could happen... Either way, I will probably be buying the Air in January. And my new MB will become my Windows machine and my Backup Mac.

I think if you go with the new Air you will be pleasantly surprised. But if you go with the MB, you could move your SSD over to your new MB...

Either way, the portability of either will blow away lugging around the old MBP. Plus, with that bigger screen of the MBP, it is hard to open the display enough with the small confines of an airline seat or even some tighter seats in trains/buses. The Air or MB will work great in those tight spaces.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I have owned the MacBook Air, twice, so I know about the issues and such. Screen being pretty isn't exactly my top priority but I hope its not horrible. I'll be going to the Apple Store and checking out the MacBook.

The lugging is just a pain. I just want the screen size to be small, since I have a 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor at home if I need real estate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.