Need your opinions on my IT Support Website Name...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by enklined, Mar 25, 2011.

1. enklined macrumors 6502

I recently purchased http://notinindia.com - an ALTERNATIVE website to promote my IT services (this will NOT be my main site, nor the name of my "company").

It has come to my attention that the website name may be racially insensitive to some. However, this was not my intention. Instead, the objective is to point out how "big business" handles their customer service (offshoring/outsourcing), while my services are done in-person and on-site, so you get a PERSONAL 1on1 IT support experience.

What do you guys think?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not much. Comparative advertising is a weak way to build brand identity, especially when you're establishing yourself. Also comes across as mean-spirited. But then, you don't really want our opinions after you bought the domain name and built the site...

Bleh.

3. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I wouldn't use that site. Sounds a bit amateur.

If you want to convey a local service then include your town name, or your own name, in the business name.

Your site doesn't actually mention where you ARE based. Not that I can see anyway.

EDIT: Another thing - professional IT companies don't use their web hosts free site building software ;)

4. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't build the site - it's temporarily parked by GoDaddy using their instant page service - took 30 seconds to setup. And $7.50. Easily thrown away if it conveys a bad message.

I'm not building an identity around this site - like I said it will NOT be the main site, just an alternative.

The site is temporary. It doesn't include any information yet, because it is not the final site - as you noticed, it is parked using GoDaddy's instant page service for now. Better than a completely blank page while I decide/build a site.

Amateur? Again, it wouldn't be THE site I direct clients to. It's simply an alternative for web results and such.

The message I am conveying is strong customer service skills. There are a LOT of tech support services out there, but very few with any sort of customer service (nerds are notorious for being socially retarded).

5. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Well, at least you'll get the Conservative, Christian Republican market.

Ziiinnnnggg!!!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its a name that will doom your company from ever succeeding. While I'm not offended by it, clearly many business folks will be unwilling to hire anyone with a name such as that - at least in my opinion

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying. While I understand where you're coming from, I'm not persuaded this is the right way to go about convincing others of your customer relationship-building skills.

8. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

I LOL'd. Thanks for that. (On a side note, **** politricks. All ass-hat greedy, corrupt mofos. That said, I'm FAR from right-wing.)

maflynn: Thinking maybe I'll use this site for easy access for friends/family or something. If/when I intend to make this an actual job, rather than side-work, i definitely wouldn't use this site.

All of the above said, my "company name" will NOT be "Not in India." This was just a name I thought people would relate to - a LOT of people are irritated by having to deal with customer service over the phone, and that annoyance is intensified when it's hard to understand the person on the other end (this isn't a bash on Indians, this is simply stating that when it's hard to understand someone, it frustrates the situation even more. I, for one, dislike conversing with anyone over the phone from the deep South - those god damn accents are impossible for me to understand! haha).