Need your quick opinions

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheSuperSteve, Oct 21, 2011.

1. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Do you guys think iOS 5 is the final version of iOS for the first generation iPad?

Usually each iDevice supports 3 major versions of iOS before being phased out. iPhone and iPod touch (1G) ended at iOS 3. iPhone 3G and iPod touch (2G) at iOS 4. iPad 1 came with iOS 3. Thus logic says that iOS 5 is the final version of iOS for it.

But that doesnt make sense to me. The 4th generation iPod touch came with the A4 and 256Mb of ram yet its being sold as new once more but with iOS 5. The iPad 1 has the same specs. The 4th generation iPod touch came with iOS 4! Both are the same specs! Ahhhhh! I feel like logic is thrown out the window in this generation.

Basically... is my first generation iPad soon to be obsolete? Should i sell it now to save up for an iPad 2 or next year's iPad 3/2S?

Thank you... phew...

2. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

my advice to you is calm down and stop trying to predict or speculate what the future will bring. you have a perfectly workable ipad1 which is capable of running iOS5 (albeit with multi-gestures disabled). when the ipad3 and the next version of iOS comes out, *then* you can make an informed decision on whether you can continue to use the ipad1 or buy a newer model.

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

The iPhone 3GS is still supported with ios5, so you can assume that the first gen iPad will continue at least through ios6, BUT it will continue to lag behind in apps designed for faster processors and better graphics. I usually upgrade every other product cycle myself and either hand down or sell the iDevice I'm moving up from.

4. TheSuperSteve thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes i know. But the thing is that the price will logically go down the longer i wait. That's why i want to try and sell it as soon as possible. To get as much cash as i can for it.

iOS 6. That's what i'm wondering about. The iPad 1 came with iOS 3 but with the A4 chip... so its technically a 4th generation device? Which means it'll support the iOS 6? Which means i got full 2012 support from Apple in software updates? That calms me down quite a bit.

My problem is i have no idea how to sell something. I keep hearing horror stories about ebay and craigslist. Has anyone sold anything via Amazon? How was your experience?

5. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Yes, it will support iOS 6. Yes, there will be a major feature of iOS 6 that won't work on the iPad 2 to try and get you to upgrade to the iPad 3. Yes, this cycle will continue.