Need your thoughts about iMac or Asus?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Krungel, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Krungel macrumors newbie

I'm using 3d studio max, and I will buy a new computer. I was thinking about buying 27" iMac with i7 processor and 16 gb ram. But this asus has change my mind. It's about same price but asus has no monitor. this is the asus http://imgur.com/MEyBFNM what do you guys think?

btw: asus has 128 gb ssd too. it's not on the list.

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

There are several things to consider in the comparison.

First of all are you comfortable in OSX and do you have or will you have to buy all the software you require to run in OSX, or are you considering running windows in bootcamp? The Asus will have a full desktop graphics card, the iMac has a mobile version, so not as powerful as the GPU in the Asus, something to consider. The Asus will be more upgradeable since its a tower PC, the iMac is not upgradeable beyond the RAM and hard drives, and for the hard drives you have to take the front glass off, not a trivial exercise. Its not so much which one is better, but which one is better for you, your needs and workflow.

3. Krungel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering. I will use boot camp if I buy iMac for using 3d studio max. Usually I use it for architectural designs.

4. JohnPi314 macrumors member

JohnPi314

I'm going to go against the current here (some may wish to throw me off the boat!) but for architectural work I say "go PC".

Why waste the $ on an iMac for less performance, not to mention the extra cost of setting up the VM plus licensing fees.

If you're going to be spending, say, 85% of your time in Windows for a killer app, then run Windows natively on x86 hardware.

On the other hand, if they sell a version of the software that runs on OSX, then obviously "get an iMac" and sell the Windows copy that you own.

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

I'd rather be working on an iMac over the other machine. However... if 90% of my time was going to be on Windows apps then I would probably save the money and buy the Asus. Technically I wouldn't buy the Asus, I'd buy a system compatible for a hackintosh so I could run both.

6. Krungel thread starter macrumors newbie

Asus is leading now but if AutoDesk release 3ds max for mac, I will regret my decision ����

7. AlexxRyzhkov macrumors regular

Personally I would consider building a hackintosh, it would be cheaper than the Asus and more customizable, plus you can run OSX on it.

8. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I will throw another hat into the "go Windows PC" ring.

It just does not make monetary sense to buy the Apple only to be looking at Bootcamp or VMWare (and potential issues/limitations that go with) as your use environment for the majority of your machines life.