Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
San Francisco
So I have a 1st gen. Macbook Pro and the vid card is going out. From what I've learned I need to replace the motherboard (A1211). How hard is this to do. Am I going to kill my comp? Advice welcome.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
It will probably be more cost effective to sell your old computer for parts and buy a new one.

dittman

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
I have an A1212 that started having graphics problems. I tried a few things to fix it but came to the conclusion that the motherboard would have to be replaced.

As drewsof07 pointed out, it just wasn't cost effective so I bought a new Late 2011 MBP.

Besides, I had wanted to upgrade for a while and until my old one started to fail I just didn't want to spend the money.

BTW, the A1211 isn't the 1st. gen. The first gen. was the A1150 and it had a Core Duo instead of a Core 2 Duo.

Devian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
San Francisco
OK. So I understand that this isn't cost effective if I get a new board. On ebay you can find one for between $35 to $400. I'm hoping I can get a used one to make it last another 6 months to a year while I save up for a new one. I don't have the money for a new mac right now. My question is, is this an easy replacement to do? Am I wasting my time?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
OK. So I understand that this isn't cost effective if I get a new board. On ebay you can find one for between $35 to $400. I'm hoping I can get a used one to make it last another 6 months to a year while I save up for a new one. I don't have the money for a new mac right now. My question is, is this an easy replacement to do? Am I wasting my time?

Easy is relative. You'd need to re-do the whole thermal paste job and disconnect a boatload of stuff. Check the guides on ifixit.com, it'll give you an idea.

dittman

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
I took mine apart to replace the thermal paste first to see if that would fix the problem. It's not difficult, but it does take a while.

You might check to see if your MBP qualifies for a flat rate repair.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You basically have to completely disassemble your MBP and reassemble it, as well as reapplying the thermal paste. It's a lot of small screws to keep track of.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC

If you've never taken apart a computer, don't do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.