Needed help on basic's - download, renaming folders + locked folders on external hdd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by amanpreet, Sep 12, 2009.

1. amanpreet macrumors newbie

Hey wassup!
    Juss a new shifter... from the world of pc to the world of mac...
    using a macbook with leopard 10.5.8.

welll i had some basic queries...

1. I use to download loads of torrents on the pc... use bit torrent... but wid the mac... im not able to do so... could anyone help me on this??? Use bit torrent (mac) , get the torrent from the same sites... everythin the same... besides using a mac...
    2. I am having trouble transferrin files between my mac and frnds pc over the same network???
    3. Could you help me out, as to how to rename a folder or file???
    4. I have been using a external hdd... the problem is some off the folders are locked... and hence i am not able to modify them, Y and how can i change this???

these are all the questions i have as of now... could you please help me regarding the same!!!
    thanz...
    cheers!!!
    enjoy;-)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Yes, you can download torrents. Transmission and µTorrent are quite popular apps for that

2. With right settings it should work fine

3. Right click folder and select "Show details or information" and there should be its name so just type there what you want.

4. Right click it and select "Shoe details" and there's "Sharing and rights" in the bottom so check that your account has full access (read and write)

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

you can also double click the lock pad on the bottom left column and it will change the settings as well.

With the network settings, I would Youtube that. Youtube has some great videos on how to set up networks between Macs and Mac & Windows.

I used to use Transmission, but it kinda sucks now. I switched to Utorrent, as they just made a Mac version not to long ago. I believe it is a beta even. Works a ton better. Also, if you are using safari, the files from a bit torrent client are going to be in user>downloads

Attached Files:

4. amanpreet thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanz for the speedy response...