Needin Some Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HowBoutIt?, Mar 6, 2010.

1. HowBoutIt? macrumors member

Mar 5, 2010
    I am in the market for a new MBP. I have a 4 y/o MBP and I never went past v10.4.11. The doctorate program I am in now requires a notebook with no real specific specs except a few programs. I really would like the 17" but something is tugging at me saying to get the 13". I would think a 17" MBP on a stand sitting in a nice chair with some nice speakers as I work away would be the best way to get through some of these horrible courses. The stand I saw is all aluminum and built for all 3 MacBooks (so there were some negative comments about that and the proper fitting. I found a col and what sounds like a comfortable bag with tempurpedic foam to protect the notebook and high reviews. So that was something I was worried about--having to carry it around campus.

I would like some ideas on the 3 sizes. I am not asking for you to make my decision for me, I am hoping to learn and have a clearer idea of positive and negative thins about the 3 sizes of MacBook Pros.

2. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Jun 20, 2008
    Part of the old MR guard.
    In my opinion you should get the 15". Perfect balance between the 13" and the 17". Has a good wide screen, speakers at the side and a huge (In comparison to my older MacBook 13") trackpad to use.

Light, easy-to-carry in a normal 15" bag, and not as cumbersome as the 17". Can fit on a lap easily.
  3. Hellhammer Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    + Small and light = easy to carry around
    + Not too expensive
    - Worse screen, low res = everything have to be full screen

+ Option between 13" & 17", not too big and heavy, OK price
    - Low res screen compared to 17" and not much better than in 13"

+ Great display with amazing resolution
    + Can replace a desktop
    - Big and clumsy to carry around
    - Expensive

Get 13" if you carry it around a lot or want a wallet-friendly Mac, but if you have the money for 17" and are not bothered about its size it's a great choice. If you can't really decide, get 15" (Just my opinions)
  4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

May 22, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    Help is here

This is what you do:
    When you create a topic, describe what you're going to write about in the title. This helps others figure out quickly whether they can help you. :)
  5. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

Mar 5, 2010
    Not Sure what to Title This...

Thanks Bro, I appreciate the help. aggie "smacked" me into seeing the big picture.
  6. -aggie- macrumors P6

Jun 19, 2009
    Where bunnies are welcome.
    That's not it at all. He was trying to get you to follow the forum rules and teach you how to post to get better results.
  7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

May 22, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    No problem. Thanks, aggie! :)