Needing a AA iPhone 4 Charger

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by rans0m00, Apr 17, 2011.

1. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

So I am taking a week long cycling trip cross state and camping the entire way. I would like to take my iPhone 4 and still be able to actually use it. I will have roughly 15-30 minutes of wall adapter usage available per day so that leaves me looking for other ways to charge my phone. With the lack of AC wall outlets it puts a stop to almost all rechargeable solutions I am seeing in most places and the ones that use AA batteries most claim they do not work for an iPhone 4. I do realize using AA batteries to charge my phone daily is a huge waste but I won't have any other way of reliably charging my phone. I have googled up some options but nothing that looked very promising. If anyone knows of a solution that involves interchangeable batteries or a battery pack that can charge an iphone4 from dead to full at least twice please let me know.

2. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

3. rans0m00, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

rans0m00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Would not work. I will be gone for 7 days and that would get me through two at max(if the battery was not dead). They did have a Portable power max 16000mAh that if it does what it says should be able to charge my phone for the week. I will just have to see if I can find some reviews about it

4. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

5. himesh macrumors regular

This is quite similar to the Griffin one but comes with a USB port to charge the rechargeable AA batteries. They can be replaced with normal AA's also.Nexxus Powerboost Pro, only thing is it gets a little warm if you are using your phone at the same time as charging.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

You could also go solar there are several on eBay. Besides being more green it would save packing batteries. Most have a battery as well the solar recharges the battery.

7. rans0m00 thread starter macrumors 6502

The solar I gave some serious thought to but no promise I wont be riding along in the rain and they seems to charge quite slow in sunny conditions so not reliable enough and would prefer not to buy two charging methods considering I have to carry the majority of gadgets I bring.

The Griffin looks promising. Going to do a little research on what type of batteries and what I can expect from each set. Hopefully it fits the need. My second post about the 16k mAh charger would not be bad but I would never have time to recharge it in case it did not charge like it is supposed to I would be without a phone(which is how my family tracks me on this ride).

The Nexxus power boost I probably will avoid since I only found it from a dealer out of the country and if something goes wrong I probably wont get a replacement in time without spending a fair amount on shipping but thank you for the response.

8. rans0m00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just a follow up. Did some internet browsing and with the proper battery people have been happy with the Griffin so I ordered one and after trying out a variety of batteries I will follow up with my results. From how it sounds this should work fine for my situation just a wasteful. Thank you for the responses.

9. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

10. rans0m00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Already ordered the Griffin one. Have had a good luck with them on other things in the past and except having to use probably more expensive batteries than I would prefer I think it will fit my needs just fine. We will find out when it comes though. On the good side last I checked the more expensive batteries are actually lighter so that will be a plus while peddling in the middle on nowhere in 100+ degree weather :)

11. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Would highly recommend you buy Energizer e2 batteries

even with a higher initial cost these are hands down the best non-rechargeable batteries Ive ever used.

12. rans0m00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will try out a set. I am taking my trip in June and ordering this up and going to use to with different types of batteries to find out which do the best charging so when it comes time to go wont still be testing. So yeah if it can be purchased at walmart then I will probably have tried the battery until either I find a set that are more than enough or good enough for the price type thing.

13. rans0m00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just a follow up for the people that are interested. So got the Griffin TuneJuice and the batteries it came with were worthless. Changed out to a set of Energizer Max and charged about 40%, then changed out to a set of Duracell Ultra Advanced and got 40% also, then changed out to a set of Energizer Ultimate Lithium which charged from a total discharge(phone would not do anything) to 99%. I have not checked if any juice is left in the last set but should be dead or almost. The lithium's are are extremely light compared to the standard alkaline. Something worth noting if you are going to be carrying a weeks worth on your back. I stuck with these choices since I can stop at almost any walmart and pick up another set instead of ordering up some odd battery I can only get mail order or what not.

14. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Yup Energizer Ultimate Lithium = Rebranded Energizer E2 batteries

Like I said people always think its a better value to go for cheapy batteries, but for any high drain devices ( LED flashlight, mini speakers, etc) They are damn worth the money

Thank you for confirming my advice with some semi-scientific data :D

Good luck with your trip !

15. NomadNYC macrumors newbie

Follow up?

I too, am doing a bike trip and therefore looking for portable power. How's the TuneJuice working out? And in particular how many iPhone charges do you get out of one set of the lithium batteries? (I've got a 3G so perhaps that poor old phone might need more power than a whizzy fast 4!)

16. rans0m00, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

rans0m00 thread starter macrumors 6502

Out of the lithium batteries I was able to charge my ip4 about once per set... I might have been able to get slightly more out of it but not much if any. So I just packed enough for a set each day. Honestly with how light they are I didn't even notice the weight. If I remember right the 3g takes less juice so you might get more. I think I paid 20 bucks or something like that for the tunejuice... my recommendation would be to just get it and see what you get for a charge. If it doesn't fit your needs then it was only 20-30 bucks... A guy that I was with had a rechargeable battery pack and it made it most of the trip with his 3g(or 3gs) but was much much heavier than mine but I think he spent less money on his after I factored in the cost of the batteries I went through. By the way the trip was 7 days.

17. NomadNYC macrumors newbie

Great! Thanks for replying - this is very useful, I figured it would probably be one set of batteries per charge. I shall order the TuneJuice and stock up on lithium batteries.

18. jdaniel macrumors 65816

You already bought something so the topic is moot but just for others who might wanna know, I bought the just mobile gum plus, theres the more rugged looking pro version: http://www.amazon.com/Just-Mobile-4400mAh-External-Portable/dp/B001BWQTOC

If you charge it when it gets to 60% and disconnect when it reaches 100% you can do this over the course of a few days, before you need to recharge the battery pack, Thats what I have been testing.

19. rans0m00 thread starter macrumors 6502

That looks like a very good option for a weekend trip. I was happy with my purchase but lithium batteries are expensive and wasteful. For shorter trips I might end up getting something like this.