Needing a docking station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BlendedFrog, Feb 20, 2015.

1. BlendedFrog macrumors regular

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Neither, get a Thunderbolt dock instead. Dual-link DVI at 2560x1440 at 8 bit/channel and 60 Hz needs a minimum of 5.0625 Gbps which is over the theoretical maximum throughput of USB 3.0. Needless to say, 2560x1600 as well as dual 1080p is out of the question with a USB 3.0 dock.

Or even consider a single 1080p monitor, 8 bit/channel at 60 Hz: 2.848 Gbps. Add a Gigabit Ethernet on top and you're looking at a measly 1.1Gbps to be shared across three USB 3.0 ports, bringing each one lower than the speed of USB 2.0 due to how bandwidth is shared on a USB hub.

If you must go with a USB 3.0 dock or do not use a monitor, I'd go for the second one since it doubles as a stand.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

4. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

A less expensive solution in my opinion is to get a Twelve South book arc stand, and then run a display port and power cable under it which you plugin manually each time, and a single USB cable that connects to a powered USB hub that you plug the rest of your USB peripherals into. Boom, everything you need.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Agree with a couple of other posters above.

Get a thunderbolt docking station instead.

6. BlendedFrog thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't want to go with one of the arc stands/clam shell stands because I still want to use the MBP when it is connected...the monitor would be a 2nd display.

I really do want a thunderbolt dock but they are still so damn expensive.

7. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

If you can get a different stand that lets you use the Mac open, or just cable-tie the cables to the appropriate length, you can do what I do pretty much anyway.

8. BlendedFrog thread starter macrumors regular