Needing help deciding between a 4G or 5G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by trisity, May 16, 2014.

1. trisity macrumors newbie

My faithful Classic 4G finally died the other night. I have had it for 8 years and am trying to decide what its replacement will be.

I have an Asus Transformer TF101 tablet that I use for apps and ebooks but I am wanting something with wifi that can fit in a pocket to primarily be a music player when driving and at home on the radio dock.

I would love to have apps/internet/video on the smaller device but considering I already have the android tablet and my dumb phone does everything I need a phone to do when out and about and away from the internet so not interested in any form of iPhone.

The 5G new is $400 for 64gb but a friend can use his friends/family discount to bump it down to $340 for 64gb, while the refurbished 64gb is $299.

But going to the 5g brings in the lightning connecter issue. I would have to get new car/wall chargers (Looking at this $40 set) and a Lightning to 30-pin Adapter ($16 used on eBay) adds an additional $56 to whatever choice.

While the 4G 64GB refurbished is $229 and still uses 30-pin so I wouldn't need to replace all of my hardware as long as I can tell, since it is all the same stuff, right?

A $200 difference (including lightning hardware in cost) is making me think since the 4G is 4 year old tech with only iOS 6 possible, the A4 processor, and a junker camera while the 5G is still new-ish, can do iOS 7, faster processor/ram, bluetooth, and a better camera.

I don't see myself spending the money upgrading to the 6G or locking myself to a smartphone so it is between these two.

So the question is whether the 5G is more worthwhile or would the 4G suit me just fine and if I go the 4G route, to go refurbished or attempt looking for it used.

2. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Get the 5G. I just bought a refurbished 64 GB and love it. You can get lightning cables on Amazon pretty cheap too.

3. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

4. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Go for the 5G. The charger and lightning cable come with the Touch.

If your car charger is USB, that should work as well.

5. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

Yep!

6. bmxracer macrumors member

bmxracer

Get the 5g, the refurbished one should be fine if you are looking to save money.

7. na1577 macrumors 6502a

There's no reason to buy a "new" iPod, Apple's refurbished products are indistinguishable from a new one with the exception of the hundreds of dollars you'll save.

Don't get caught up over the Lightning connector issue. The 5th generation touch is a huge upgrade over the 4th generation.

8. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

No competition

Get the 5G. the 299 64GB + one or two accessories will suffice. Wall chargers of your iPod before can be used with it as long as it is USB powered. Lightnight cable comes with every box anyway. The only thing you might need to buy is the lightning to 30-pin adapter for your car or stereo equipments which is not that expensive.

9. trisity thread starter macrumors newbie

From Apple's site the new and refurbished say it only comes with the cable, no charger, for what is included. Did it used to come with a charger?

Both of my chargers are the original 30-pin. These are what I have

I don't have a USB charger for either and am still trying to find the best one to get without too much additional cost. The Griffin PowerDuo set that I linked in my original post are the ones I am thinking about getting unless any of you know of some that are better.

10. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

Yep, none of the iPod Touches have ever come with a wall plug, only the cabl.e

11. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Thanks for the correction. Don't know what I was thinking, because when I looked at the box mine came it, it's pretty obvious a charger wouldn't fit.

One of my duh moments....

12. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

I suggest you get an Apple or certified by Apple wall charger (Griffin, Belkin etc.) They are cheaper and provides about the same safety and power requirement as Apple's.

For my iPhone in car, I use a cheap cigarette USB charger and it works very well. I can charge my iPad and iPhone at the same time though I got it from a china-sourced electronics shop here in my country.

You should have shifted to USB wall adapters years ago :) but now is the best time to do it since you're switching iPod + convenience of USB port for charging other accessories or devices.