Needing help transferring files to new MacBook Pro...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LuluB, Jan 9, 2008.

1. LuluB macrumors newbie

My old iBook G3's screen died and I purchased a new MacBook Pro and I need help transferring files.

I am not computer savvy but I've already tried using a firewire to connect the Macs and I am able to access the HD, and I have transferred some applications (via the migration assistant/drag & drop) but unfortunately, no files. I don't understand how to get into iTunes or iPhoto, or even my old Appleworks files (for shame!). The files just aren't there. Am I missing a step?

Please help in kind, simple terms!
    Thanks

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

You could try connecting the iBook to an external monitor then copy your files manually to an external HD?

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

so when you turned of the macbook pro and went through the installer did you use migration assistant there? it should of migrated everything... files. itunes/iphoto libraries, apps. did you select to import all these things. maybe try again.

but if you want to manually do your itunes and iphoto libraries this is easy. copy your itunes music folder and iphoto library from the music and picture folders respectively. then open itunes and iphoto holding option and select the new libraries. if all your photos and music are organised within these folders then it should work out perfect.

4. LuluB thread starter macrumors newbie

I used the migration assistant twice and nothing transferred over except for applications. Something strange is happening...there doesn't seem to be any files there except the ones set up for the new MacBook.

While using my firewire there were two computers listed under "shared" and I have no idea how this could be. Were they hacking into my system?

Anyhow, thanks.