Needing help with Crossover.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Filipftw, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Filipftw macrumors newbie

Hey! I just bought Crossover. And i Installed the game "Counter-strike" On my mac. When i played it on my Pc i got 100 fps clear. But when i trying to play it with my mac i only got 60 fps? My mac is like 2 times better with graphic cards,cpu and ram. I'm also running World of Warcraft with 150 fps+ But i want to increase my Fps in Counter-strike anyone here got an idea? Is it a Crossover problem or my is it my computer?

Please help :)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

CrossOver/Wine is not Windows; therefore, you shouldn't always expect the same performance as if you ran it in the environment for which it was designed.

Besides, anything over 40 fps is for bragging purposes only and has no impact on playability.

3. akm3 macrumors 68020

If you care about maximum performance, boot camp is your best bet. (Well, dedicated windows gaming PC is your *Best bet*, but I assume you mean gaming on your mac)

4. Aniday macrumors regular

Crossover is Garbage. Been there, done that. To play Windows games you at least want to run Windows in a virtualization program. It takes more work and money but at least your games will run. For full performance you’ll want to partition your hard drive and run Boot Camp.

5. jparshall macrumors newbie

Frame Rate under CrossOver...

I'd say that "garbage" is a bit strong, Aniday. We have plenty of customers who run Steam games quite happily under CrossOver and find them quite playable. Frame rate will, of course, depend on your hardware, graphics card, and graphics settings within the game. And I'd second BlueRevolution's earlier post that while it's nice to be able to brag that your framerate is such-and-such, beyond a certain point your rods and cones just don't take in that information anyway. So, yeah, if your manhood depends on framerate, by all means go with Bootcamp. If you're interested in a playable solution that runs natively on your Mac and doesn't require a copy of Windows, you should find that CrossOver Mac is a perfectly viable solution. Just my two cents, admittedly biased.

-jon parshall-
    COO
    www.codeweavers.com
    "Your Mac/Windows Solution"

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I don't like to bash things, but I have to say that I agree with Aniday here. I have tried Crossover a few times and every time I have ended up with poor results. First I always check the compatibility list, that is always disheartening because few games are fully supported, most operate to some level.

I love the steam games (Team Fortress 2, Halflife 2, etc.. as much as anyone else but overall they aren't my focus of game play). But I have a handful of older games I want to go back and play again.

Tomb Raider : Angel of Darkness
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Jedi Knight 2
    Civ 4
    and a few others.

Sadly I wasn't able to get ANY of them to play. Graphic distortion at best, even in TF2 I had issues with the graphics not being right all the time. I forgot what it was, something to do with one of the overlays.

I know that Crossover has been out for a long time now, but my experience with it was just lousy. I even tried it again back around November when they were having it for 1/2 price (or something like that). Nope, still disappointment.

Stick with Bootcamp, yes, it is a pain in the butt to reboot all the time, but I still haven't found an acceptable solution.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

For non-game Windows apps, I've had lots of success with Crossover and its cousins. I've even gotten some older games to run. Newer games, though, are generally no-go.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You do know that all of these games have Mac-native versions available, yes?

9. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Yes, but I purchased them years ago before I had a Mac and thus find it hard to justify buying them again.